How to troubleshoot what is causing my server to restart

Ryland

How can I find out what is causing my server to restart if the syslog is only kept in memory?  It has happened twice in the last couple of weeks where I have found that the server has spontaneously rebooted itself.  I think it is related to Plex but would like to figure out how to determine that.

Fix Common Problems plugin in troubleshooting mode. Install via the Community Applications plugin.

FCP will assist in troubleshooting, but if a spontaneous reboot doesn't happen within a couple of weeks, you should reboot the server manually, as the extra logging FCP does to try and catch these issues can in itself cause issues with the server if run for months on end.

That being said, by and large most spontaneous resets are caused by either Power Supply inadequate (if happening during a parity check), Memory (can happen at any point in time) or possibly overheating of components

Also my server restarted by itself a few times at what seemed to be random times. It turned out to be my UPS resetting itself because the battery was overheating from being too old. If you have a UPS I'd check that too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do have it hooked up to a UPS but so isnt my main desktop and that hasnt rebooted.  The battery was also replaced in it about a year ago.

• 2 weeks later...

My server has rebooted a few more times and I have finished up 2 passes of memtest which has found nothing.  Its not a power issue because I found that according to the log that Plex did a graceful shutdown on at least one of those instances.  I found that the last two occurrences did not force a parity check to be automatically started when I started the array.

I did find that an OSX user is having similar issues with Plex 1.1.4.2757-24ffd60.