[SOLVED] NICs not picking up DHCP after Mobo upgrade

dr4g0n

Hello, unRAID peoples.

I just switched my motherboard out for one with a couple more PCIe slots, for some VM fun, but after reinstalling everything and booting up, my add-in, two-port NIC wont grab an DHCP address, it just pulls an APIPA. I (foolishly) deleted the network.cfg, rebooted, and tried to configure my dual-nic as the bond (eth0 and eth1), wich does the APIPA thing, and the onboard NIC (eth2) as a "management port" (DHCP reserved IP assians correctly)  ...which worked.. and works through reboots.

Heres the current ifconfig: Pastebin cause character limit; http://pastebin.com/uPeHb6wH

and heres the network.cfg (I could Not find anything online/here that tells me how to use this to fix the problem..)

root@Horde:~# cat /boot/config/network.cfg 
# Generated settings:                                                                                                                                                                                              
IFNAME[0]="br0"                                                                                                                                                                                                    
BONDNAME[0]="bond0"                                                                                                                                                                                                
BONDNICS[0]="eth0 eth1"                                                                                                                                                                                            
BONDING_MODE[0]="1"                                                                                                                                                                                                
BONDING_MIIMON[0]="100"                                                                                                                                                                                            
DHCP_KEEPRESOLV="no"                                                                                                                                                                                               
BRNAME[0]="br0"                                                                                                                                                                                                    
BRNICS[0]="bond0"                                                                                                                                                                                                  
BRSTP[0]="no"                                                                                                                                                                                                      
BRFD[0]="0"                                                                                                                                                                                                        
DESCRIPTION[0]=""                                                                                                                                                                                                  
USE_DHCP[0]="yes"                                                                                                                                                                                                  
NETMASK[0]="255.255.0.0"                                                                                                                                                                                           
GATEWAY="10.10.0.1"                                                                                                                                                                                                
MTU[0]=""                                                                                                                                                                                                          
IFNAME[1]="eth2"                                                                                                                                                                                                   
DESCRIPTION[1]=""                                                                                                                                                                                                  
USE_DHCP[1]="yes"                                                                                                                                                                                                  
MTU[1]=""                                                                                                                                                                                                          
SYSNICS="2"

My network is thus:

Router: 10.10.0.1

Netmask: 255.255.0.0

DNS: 10.10.1.222, 10.10.0.1

Desired IP for the bond: 10.10.1.1

Current IP for the onboard NIC: 10.10.1.2

Servers are in the (sudoish) subnet of 10.10.1.0

Infrastructure (Router, APs) are 10.10.0.0

Clients (my PC, phone, etc; all DHPC reserved) are 10.10.2.0

DHPC guests are 10.10.3.0

Ive got the diag zip if someone needs it, let me know.

Hope I can get some help.

PS: after the upgrade, everything else works; array, docker, VMs..

It has to be his intention IMO, otherwise the two name servers would be on different subnets and phones and DHCP guests wouldn't see the router. We need to wait for the OP to respond but I think he's just using IP addresses "wastefully" for his own convenience. There's nothing wrong with that.

EDIT: That said, some consumer equipment doesn't allow the setting of less than 24-bit netmasks. I have an old ADSL modem/router that doesn't, for example.

Netmask 255.255.0.0 ? should that not be 255.255.255.0

Yeah, it's on purpose. I have quasi-subnets, I guess. just using the 3rd octate to designate what the clients are, ie. server, user, guest, etc.

Post your diagnostics zip and your DHCP server configuration.

Sure. Zip is attached, heres the DHCP: http://puu.sh/s5nSu.png

EDIT: That said, some consumer equipment doesn't allow the setting of less than 24-bit netmasks. I have an old ADSL modem/router that doesn't, for example.

Well, the card worked fine with the other motherboard, same config. and all the other devices I have currently have no problem with it.

horde-diagnostics-20161102-2036.zip

It has to be his intention IMO, otherwise the two name servers would be on different subnets and phones and DHCP guests wouldn't see the router. We need to wait for the OP to respond but I think he's just using IP addresses "wastefully" for his own convenience. There's nothing wrong with that.

I have a Rasberry Pi running Pi-Hole as an ad blocking DNS server, that's what 10.10.1.222 is. It forwards valid DNS to OpenDNS's servers.

I have the router (10.10.0.1) as the other just in case the Pi doesn't pick up a local device .local name.

The DHCP server whose configuration page you linked allocates addresses from the range 10.10.3.100/16 to 10.10.3.254/16 so how do you expect your unRAID server to receive the specific address 10.10.1.1? Is there another configuration page that reserves IP addresses for MAC addresses, because if there is it's outside the range specified for the DHCP server address pool.

Try removing the bond and the bridge and seeing if eth0 and eth1 then work as expected. If they do then add the bridge back and test again, then recreate the bond and test again. If all that fails try using a static address.

The DHCP server whose configuration page you linked allocates addresses from the range 10.10.3.100/16 to 10.10.3.254/16 so how do you expect your unRAID server to receive the specific address 10.10.1.1?

Oh yeah, thats on a different page. But even with no reserved address, the bond wont pick up an ip from the 10.10.3.100-254 range.

Ill go ahead and try removing the bridge and bond, see if that works.

Alright so. I just removed the add in card. I assume my problem is because both the mobo and card are realtek chips. I have an Intel card in the mail.

But, now with only one interface.. I can pick up the DHCP address fine, and the local network works great. I can access samba and the webgui fine. But. Im getting 100% dropped packets when trying to connect outside my LAN. So.. yeah, not fun.

Most DHCP servers and clients are not configured to assign two or more subnets to a single host without colliding on the default route.

(And I just noticed the diagnostics didn't include networking stuff like routing table)

While the server is in the normal network location/connection run the following commands and post them back

ip addr
ip route

I'm guessing your default route is wrong or clobbered.

root@Horde:~# ip addr
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1                                                                                                                           
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00                                                                                                                                                          
    inet 127.0.0.1/32 scope host lo                                                                                                                                                                                
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever                                                                                                                                                                     
    inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo                                                                                                                                                                                 
2: tunl0@NONE: <NOARP> mtu 1480 qdisc noop state DOWN group default qlen 1                                                                                                                                         
    link/ipip 0.0.0.0 brd 0.0.0.0                                                                                                                                                                                  
3: gre0@NONE: <NOARP> mtu 1476 qdisc noop state DOWN group default qlen 1                                                                                                                                          
    link/gre 0.0.0.0 brd 0.0.0.0                                                                                                                                                                                   
4: gretap0@NONE: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1462 qdisc noop state DOWN group default qlen 1000                                                                                                                      
    link/ether 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff                                                                                                                                                             
5: ip_vti0@NONE: <NOARP> mtu 1364 qdisc noop state DOWN group default qlen 1                                                                                                                                       
    link/ipip 0.0.0.0 brd 0.0.0.0                                                                                                                                                                                  
6: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,PROMISC,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast master br0 state UP group default qlen 1000                                                                                           
    link/ether d0:50:99:ac:5e:6e brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff                                                                                                                                                             
58: br0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state UP group default qlen 1000                                                                                                                 
    link/ether d0:50:99:ac:5e:6e brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff                                                                                                                                                             
    inet 10.10.1.3/16 brd 10.10.255.255 scope global br0                                                                                                                                                           
root@Horde:~# ip route
default via 10.10.0.1 dev br0  metric 258                                                                                                                                                                          
10.10.0.0/16 dev br0  proto kernel  scope link  src 10.10.1.3  metric 258                                                                                                                                          
127.0.0.0/8 dev lo  scope link                                                                                                                                                                                     
root@Horde:~# 

Well the thing is that this is how Ive had my network set up for over a year, and its worked for every device so far.

I also had the server running fine with three NICs and two IPs, one through the br0 with two NICs and the other as sort of a management port via the mobo NIC. it was only after I switched motherboards that I started having this problem.

Im using a NETGEAR ProSafe 8 Port VPN Firewall FVS318Gv2 as a router.

Maybe your router is not accepting broadcasts to the correct IP address? It seems a little odd that you've set up a /16 subnet, and while I know even /8 is acceptable for 10.*, it may be over provisioning, unless you really do have 65535 devices in your network. Have you checked any other Linux machines on the network to see if they're broadcasting out properly?

Maybe your router is not accepting broadcasts to the correct IP address? It seems a little odd that you've set up a /16 subnet, and while I know even /8 is acceptable for 10.*, it may be over provisioning, unless you really do have 65535 devices in your network. Have you checked any other Linux machines on the network to see if they're broadcasting out properly?

I only have it /16 because I'm too lazy to make it a /24 and make Actual subnets, so yeah.

But when I'm home ill check out broadcast stuff.

GUYS I SOLVED IT.

It was the friggen MTU.

Some guy at my work suggested checking that.

Sure enough.

The default of 1500..

Is too big for my PPPoE stupid Century Link internet.

Yup

PPPoE Will Not accept anything over that.

EVERYTHINGS WORKING :D

Thanks for trying guys

And here, have some cookies! *hands out cookies*

:D