Mounting share in VM question

I didn't think so. I'm trying to use NFS but it's been a while. I enabled NFS client in Windows but I can't tell if it is actually mounted NFS or SMB and I don't remember how to check.

Anyway, the issue I am having is I have a program that scans for duplicates and has the option to replace duplicates with hard links. However, based on what I read I believe that while I can create hard links over SMB, the program cannot tell they are hard links so if I scan again, the same show as duplicates instead of links. I am trying to find a solution to this so I was looking to try NFS or mounting the share as a local disk instead of network.

What about mounting the share within a folder on the VM's drive

http://superuser.com/questions/244562/how-do-i-mount-a-network-drive-to-a-folder

No idea how it'll handle symlinks, but worth a shot.

It didn't seem to work. I'm thinking it's the program. It still will not check links and junctions, even though it is set to. I have another program that will overlay icons on hard links and it's documentation is what led me to believe it was an SMB issue. The overlays would not work on SMB unless I used a downgraded version. The overlays now work but the dupe program does not. Anyway, I guess my question is answered as far as this post goes. Thanks.

There is a dirty work around, and it will probably break a bunch of other things. Instead of using the disk space in unraid to store and share the files, use the space for vdisks mounted directly to the VM. Pretty much the same amount of free space, and unraid will still protect you from outright disk failure up to parity tolerance, but all the file permissions and sharing would be handled by the VM, with all that implies.

Depending on your end goal, it may be a viable option.

There is a dirty work around, and it will probably break a bunch of other things. Instead of using the disk space in unraid to store and share the files, use the space for vdisks mounted directly to the VM. Pretty much the same amount of free space, and unraid will still protect you from outright disk failure up to parity tolerance, but all the file permissions and sharing would be handled by the VM, with all that implies.

Depending on your end goal, it may be a viable option.

I'll keep that in mind.