How do i mount SMB shared into my plex docker?

DW_Michi

Unassigned devices setting(10)

Unassigned devices(9) for mounting i used nfs and enables nfs under settings everything else is on default.

You have to enable the share setting for SMB and/or NFS or UD will not share.  You have not set enable 'Yes' in UD settings.

Do you require that?  We're not trying to access it via SMB or NFS.  Merely get at the UD mounted share within a container

Unassigned devices(9) for mounting i used nfs and enables nfs under settings everything else is on default.

You have to enable the share setting for SMB and/or NFS or UD will not share.  You have not set enable 'Yes' in UD settings.

Do you require that?  We're not trying to access it via SMB or NFS.  Merely get at the UD mounted share within a container

I don't see why that would be required. I UD mount disks all the time without sharing them and use a script to copy files to them. Haven't tried it with docker but I would think it would work fine without sharing.

The topic is mounting SMB shared into a plex docker, so I'm confused as to what the problem is.  If a remote NFS share is mounted with UD and not shared (either with SMB or NFS) it will be mounted at /mnt/disks/share name.  I would think the docker would be able to access it at the mount point.

Remember that there is an issue with a docker seeing a UD mounted share unless docker is restarted after the UD mount.

I also recommend using the server name and not the ip address to reference it.  When setting up a NFS mount, enter the NFS server name and then click the 'Load Shares' to get a list of the shares and then make a selection.  If the shares don't show up, there is a problem on the hosting server that prevents UD from seeing the shares.

So effectivly i can name my container path the way i want?

So i can implement the link of my docker to my network-share this way(8)?

container path: name how the host path lights up inside the docker

host path: actual path in unraid (in this example it's the mount point of my network share)

access mode: changed to a slave mode (RO because read only)

Is this implementation correct? In plex the folder hello is still empty despite i moved movie-files in there.

It looks like there is a space between the /mnt/disks/ and the ip address.  This would be a problem.

Remember that there is an issue with a docker seeing a UD mounted share unless docker is restarted after the UD mount.

Not when using Slave mode for access (and the mount point is within /mnt/disks)

I'm sure this is all user error somewhere in what @DW_Michi is doing

@DW_Michi:  From the Docker Tab, next to plex, it should show /hello -> /mnt/disks/192.168....  When you click on that does it show you the contents of the remote mounted share?

So effectivly i can name my container path the way i want?

So i can implement the link of my docker to my network-share this way(8)?

container path: name how the host path lights up inside the docker

host path: actual path in unraid (in this example it's the mount point of my network share)

access mode: changed to a slave mode (RO because read only)

Is this implementation correct? In plex the folder hello is still empty despite i moved movie-files in there.

It looks like there is a space between the /mnt/disks/ and the ip address.  This would be a problem.

And between each octet

Not when using Slave mode for access (and the mount point is within /mnt/disks)

I'm sure this is all user error somewhere in what @DW_Michi is doing

@DW_Michi:  From the Docker Tab, next to plex, it should show /hello -> /mnt/disks/192.168....  When you click on that does it show you the contents of the remote mounted share?

I think he solved it.  Probably the spaces issue and not having to re-start docker.

okay i overlooked the fact that i need to restart the docker...... :-X ever though i read it before :-X

thank you very much ;D

I don't understand fully why that is necessary, but that's why I put the notice in the mount dialog.

Its not necessary to restart the docker service.  But with everything that went on previously, it *may* have been necessary as a one-time thing
  • 4 years later...

Hello, 

I was using a docker in the past with the data on my cache drive. I have since moved to the Windows application but looking to move back to the docker app. My concern is

• The data needed is on a Windows VM (another physical machine)
  • That data will remain on the Windows VM (another physical machine)

How can I point the docker to the Windows VM folder share I would like to use. I will be editing the default Host Path 1  of the docker to the SMB share on the Windows VM. Would I need to create this as a new 'share' within the unraid 'shares' section before the docker would be able to point to this path?

EDIT:
SMB Shares are on 
Main> SMB Shares

I will have to some share permissions to set on the SMB share and test it out.

Thanks, 

Edited by bombz
42 minutes ago, Squid said:

Mount the share via Unassigned Devices, and then add another path mapping to the app (eg: /WindowsSMB mapped to /mnt/disks/whateverUDmountedItAs), and then add /WindowsSMB to your library

Hello,
Yes I am going to attempt via UD, that's where I saw it last time.
If I can confirm the mount point I should be able to alter the docker host path to the SMB mount point
I don't think I will need another path on Tautulli docker, as the main host path by default points at the cache DIR (plex metadata)
I could be wrong though. I will know more this week while I attempt this change.