Disk failed ?

fschris

Your diagnotics zip is over a month old.

Disk 3 dropped offline but that doesn't mean the disk has necessarily failed. Power down, check its cables, then power up, start the array and grab diagnostics again. It will still show a red cross but hopefully the disk will be back on line and we'll get a SMART report from it. If the SMART report looks good then the disk can be put back into service.

However, your server has other problems. Disk 2 has three pending sectors, which will adversely affect the ability to rebuild the disabled and emulated Disk 3. Disk 2 also has 139 reallocated sectors. That's not an immediate problem but you need to keep an eye on it. Disk 4 has one reallocated sector - again not a problem in itself if it remains stable, but you need to keep an eye on it.

There might a problem with your Ethernet connection. The link was intermittent on 28th December (the last day in the log) so, unless you were doing some re-wiring that day, check the cable and the switch port.

No it isn't. That's from December 28th.

Don't just reboot. Please do as I suggested:

Power down, check its cables, then power up, start the array and grab diagnostics again. It will still show a red cross but hopefully the disk will be back on line and we'll get a SMART report from it.

Okay lets call that drive dead... When I found it "unplugged" (wtf?) i have no idea how It was unplugged ... i did reconnect the power.  the server wont even turn on...so I take the power back off and I did hear a pop and a bad smell. Sometimes I think I am losing my mind and my house is haunted.

After I remove the power from the bad HDD and turn server back on it is up and running with the bad missing drive.

So I need to replace the drive.  I have 2 x 4 TB drives that are new.  The bad drive is 1.5tb.  What steps should I take to fix?

I know I need to replace my parity drive with the 4TB drive but I am a little cautious now since one of my data drives is dead.

You'll have to follow this procedure. When it has completed your parity disk will be the new 4 TB disk and the replacement for Disk 3 will be the old parity disk. However, the problem with the pending sectors on Disk 2 means that while the rebuild will hopefully complete there will be some errors on Disk 3. This can't be helped now.

When Disk 3 is rebuilt you can use the other 4 TB disk to replace Disk 2.

Once Disk 2 has been rebuilt you could run a cycle or two of pre-clear on the old Disk 2 to try to get rid of those pending sectors or at least decide whether or not it's junk.

Post back if you have any questions.

You'll have to follow this procedure. When it has completed your parity disk will be the new 4 TB disk and the replacement for Disk 3 will be the old parity disk. However, the problem with the pending sectors on Disk 2 means that while the rebuild will hopefully complete there will be some errors on Disk 3. This can't be helped now.

When Disk 3 is rebuilt you can use the other 4 TB disk to replace Disk 2.

Once Disk 2 has been rebuilt you could run a cycle or two of pre-clear on the old Disk 2 to try to get rid of those pending sectors or at least decide whether or not it's junk.

Post back if you have any questions.

WAIT!

I would not do a parity swap in the current situation.

I would recommend formatting one of your new 4T drives using either unassigned devices plugin or with support from trurl who can probably tell you the commands to partition and format the drive. Then mount it.

I would then copy the data from the simulated failed disk, to the 4T drive (cp -rpv /mnt/disk? /mnt/{new 4T mountpoint}). You can use screen or just do from the server console.

That will result in the least disk accesses of the sensitive data and best chance of success IMHO.

Afterwards you can do a new config and rebuild parity using the other 4T drive as parity.

I see the SMART report didn't work, but that might be because of a smart parameter (which you can't see) and not because the disk is not seen at its full capacity.

If you want to know for sure, you can run the command:

fdisk -l /dev/sdX

where sdX is the device for the 4T drive (e.g., sde)

(If in doubt, just start with sda and keep going until you find the new disk. See what size it is reported as.)

When I did my early testing on motherboard and controllers that did not support 3T drives, there were NO motherboards that did not support them. I would be very surprised if your MB ports do not support the 4T drives.

• 4 weeks later...

I just wanted to report back that I appreciate everyone's help.  So I replaced my 2TB drive with a 2TB drive. All is good now. the server is stable.  However I found out why the 4TB would not be acknowledged.  Turns out first the power connector I was trying to use was not installed properly ( my fault) I was using one for a fan and was missing a pin on the adapter Duh.  Next the Sata cable I was using was Bad!! So I am getting everything fixed up to upgrade my system.  I am pre-clearing the 4TB now!  thanks everyone