Supermicro MB - No Boot, No Post, Flashing Green Light

jrdnlc

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think you'd have to power both CPU's for the motherboard to function, so testing it with only one CPU having the extra power doesn't really confirm anything.

A PSU tester will at least confirm that the CPU output is good on all of the "rails" (different power outputs).

I agree it's more likely the board is dead, but either is possible, and it's worth a bit of time to confirm that before sending the motherboard in for repair.

So my motherboard arrives back tomorrow. Supermicro didn't charge me anything for repairs so i decided to email them.

Got a response today saying that nothing is wrong with the MB and it booted up just fine with both cpu sockets populated.

Can it be the psu even if the tester shows it's working properly?

It could be the PS, it could be something still shorting the board. Did you send them your RAM? Outside of your RAM and CPU, which I doubt are the problem there isn't much else really.

I didn't send them the CPU or RAM just the board. I took the board out of the chassis and it gave me same problem.

So when you get the board back, this is what I'd do, sit it on a small box on top of the anti static bag its in. Connect the power supply to it and see if it powers up, if it does, put in one CPU and some RAM ( not all) connect video and see what happens, if that works add the other CPU and all the RAM and see what happens.

... Can it be the psu even if the tester shows it's working properly?

Yes.  The inexpensive testers simply check that each of the voltage buses are generating the correct voltage ... but they do NOT test under load, so they are just a quick "sanity check" to see if the voltages are present ... NOT a thorough test.    If they show a PSU is bad, then it's bad;  but if they show that it's good, it just means the voltages are present ... there could still be problems.

You can get load-based testers, but they cost a LOT more.    Best way to really test whether the PSU is a problem is to use a different "known good" power supply.

So when you get the board back, this is what I'd do, sit it on a small box on top of the anti static bag its in. Connect the power supply to it and see if it powers up, if it does, put in one CPU and some RAM ( not all) connect video and see what happens, if that works add the other CPU and all the RAM and see what happens.

Do not put it on top of the antistatic bag! That might cause damage.

It could be the PS, it could be something still shorting the board. Did you send them your RAM? Outside of your RAM and CPU, which I doubt are the problem there isn't much else really.

I didn't send them the CPU or RAM just the board. I took the board out of the chassis and it gave me same problem.

Are you sure you connected all power cables properly or might have forgotten to plug one in?

Note that Ashman suggested sitting the board "... on a small box on top of the anti static bag ..." =>  NOT directly on the bag.

That's fine -- the anti-static bag helps protect against static discharge and the box "holds" the board.

Personally, I use one of these, which is a much better way to test boards out of the case:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811353001

I already tried booting it up without ram or cou. My mb needs both cpu's to post. Feel free to read precious replies to see what exactly did.

Note that Ashman suggested sitting the board "... on a small box on top of the anti static bag ..." =>  NOT directly on the bag.

That's fine -- the anti-static bag helps protect against static discharge and the box "holds" the board.

Personally, I use one of these, which is a much better way to test boards out of the case:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811353001

That is indeed fine. I just saw on top and antistatic bag and jump to the reply button  :)

I know, not sure why he even mentioned that. I always put them on top of a piece card board

I know, not sure why he even mentioned that. I always put them on top of a piece card board

He didn't say anything wrong, just me not reading well enough  ;)

Note that it MAY not be the PSU => as I'm sure you recall, you DID short something to ground by having the extra standoff ... and if it didn't damage the board, then it damaged something else.    Hopefully it IS the PSU and not one of your CPU's, but the only real way to know is to test the alternatives one-at-a-time.  A new PSU is a good first step => be sure to buy a quality unit with a pair of 8-pin EPS-12v connections -- e.g. something like this:  https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16817139083