UPS/battery backup VA recommendation

Looking to migrate my server to another room, would like to get a new UPS to pair with the server. I'm not interesting in having the server available during a power outage, so I just need it to last a few minutes if it's just a quick flicker; anything past that I'd set it up to power down. What kind of VA do I need? Nothing fancy and nothing CPU-intensive (no VMs). Just a G3258, two SAS2LP's, 12 hard drives, 5 fans.

Thanks!

I have a Back-UPS RS 800 looking after server, router, cable modem, a couple of network switches and a keyboard-video-mouse switch box, and the backup server if it's powered up (once every few weeks).

As mr-hexen pointed out - unRAID now includes the apcupsd software needed to look after APC and compatible UPS units. Configuration is from the UPS Settings on the Settings page of the web UI. 

• 2 years later...
9 minutes ago, unraidun said:

Does the usb port on the BE600M1 600v really report to unraid? Amazon says it's just "One USB Charger Port (1.5A)".

It has another port for attaching to the server. You can see it near the power cord in some photos.

I have that one but it isn't enough for my server + PC so I use another one on Unraid and just use that one to keep my network up.

Ah cool didn't see that second port.

You made me wonder though, will one of these (dedicated) be enough power to keep my box up? I plan on building just a pure file server (no VMs/apps), but would like to support 12+ drives.

I assume only a few will be spinning when the power goes out, and I'm fine with doing an insta shut down, so I shouldn't need a UPS that's too beefy... right?

Edited by unraidun
26 minutes ago, unraidun said:

Ah cool didn't see that second port.

You made me wonder though, will one of these (dedicated) be enough power to keep my box up? I plan on building just a pure file server (no VMs/apps), but would like to support 12+ drives.

I assume only a few will be spinning when the power goes out, and I'm fine with doing an insta shut down, so I shouldn't need a UPS that's too beefy... right?

It should be. I actually just hooked my unRAID (12 drives) up to its own 650VA UPS and used the native unRAID UPS settings and it currently says I have 300+ minutes of battery left. I doubt that's really super accurate, but I'm confident I have way more than enough juice to last me for a clean shutdown, which is all I have the UPS for, anyway.

28 minutes ago, unraidun said:

Unraid will spin up all disks when it tries to shutdown.

Not sure what you mean by insta shut down. Probably you mean to set it up so Unraid shuts down soon after power loss so the battery doesn't run down. That is the way you should do it regardless of how big the battery is.

3 hours ago, trurl said:

Not sure what you mean by insta shut down.

Yeah just meant shut down asap (stop all current operations).

So if unraid has to spin up all disks when shutting down, the real question is, will that create any kind of 'spike' that this particular PSU can't handle? And can it handle that load for x seconds/minutes while shutting down (how long does a typical shutdown take anyway?).

I would think the answer is yes no problem...

*well just snagged one from amazon, so we shall see...

Edited by unraidun