How Many TB's In Your Main Array?

Guest Jomp

I thought it might be fun to get a feel for the various array sizes that everyone's running. ;D

*Edit: Total terabytes of usable space, so not including parity drive. If could take the time to give us a breakdown of drive size, type, that would be nice.

Current Drives:

• Parity: 1x 2TB Seagate ST32000542AS
  • Data: 8x 2TB Seagate ST32000542AS

I'm planning on building an ultimate 20 drive unraid server, but it will also have the ability to add another 20 drives external.  doubt I'll get that high.  But there's allot of stuff I want to archive, then sell off all the smaller older drives.

• Parity - 1.5tb Seagate 7200rpm 32mb cache
  • 5 - 1tb WD green (ripped dvds)
  • 1 - 1.5tb Seagate 7200rpm 32mb cache (music, backups, images, fileserver documents)
  • 1 - 1.5tb Seagate LP - compressed video.
  • 1 - 1tb Seagate 7200rpm 32mb cache - for torrents.

I think it would also be interesting to know how those TBs are broken up across drives.  Are people using primarily large (1TB+) drives?  Or are some of these 10+ drive arrays filled with 500 GB drives?

I'm not quite sure how to translate that into a poll, though.

Thanks WeeboTech.  Along the same lines, my breakdown is:

8 Drives

• 1 x 1.5 TB parity (Samsung Ecogreen)
  • 1 x 1.5 TB data (WD Green EADS)
  • 4 x 1 TB data (two WD Green EADS, one WD Green EARS, and one Samsung 7200 rpm)
  • 1 x 500 GB data (WD 7200 rpm)
  • 1 x 320 GB cache (Seagate 7200 rpm)

Total: ~ 6 TB (usable space)

Full: ~ 5 TB

My 500 GB drive will be the first to go, of course, then the Samsung 7200 rpm drive.  Soon I'll have a fully 'green' server, with the exception of the cache drive.  I figure I'll keep the cache drive until it kicks the bucket (going on close to 4 years, I think!), then replace it with an SSD when they are cheaper.

Hopefully when 2TB drives become more affordable, a Pro licenced user would be able to have 34 TBs of usable data storage space (assuming you have 20x 2TB drives, one of which is a parity disk and no cache drive). I would like to have this setup (and probably one day I'll need to have it). Has anyone got this kind of unraid server yet? If so, I'd be very interested, including other members too I'd say.

Hopefully when 2TB drives become more affordable, a Pro licenced user would be able to have 34 TBs of usable data storage space (assuming you have 20x 2TB drives, one of which is a parity disk and no cache drive). I would like to have this setup (and probably one day I'll need to have it). Has anyone got this kind of unraid server yet? If so, I'd be very interested, including other members too I'd say.

I had a setup with pro license and 21 drives (500 and 300 GBs) - there is no difference technically in running 2TB drives instead - green drives even need less power than former 7200 rpm drives.

The important thing is to have good powersupply, good cables for powersupply of the drives (!!) and good sata cables

Agreed, though it is easier to muster 300 or 500GB drives than 2TB drives. In Australia 2TB drives are way too expensive and makes buying 1.5TB drives much more sense. A 1.5TB SATA drive would average from $125 to $140 depending on brand and model, were as a 2TB SATA drive would retail for $230 to $250. For and extra 500GB and you have to pay roughly $100 more, you'd be better off waiting or settling for 1.5TBs instead.

I had a setup with pro license and 21 drives (500 and 300 GBs) - there is no difference technically in running 2TB drives instead - green drives even need less power than former 7200 rpm drives.

The important thing is to have good powersupply, good cables for powersupply of the drives (!!) and good sata cables

For those of us not in Australia ;D 2TB is already more cost effective.

In the UK, Scan has these prices today for their cheapest 1.5TB and 2TB drives:

WD Caviar Green EARS 2TB £0.05392578125 per GB = £54 per TB

Samsung EcoGreen F3 1.5TB £0.04970703125 per GB = £51 per TB

Given the "cost per port" excluding the drive, there's no reason to buy 1.5TB drives any more.

• 2 weeks later...

An update: I've got 9.55TB of storage now (8x Seagate 1.5TB disks as one single share). I slotted another Seagate 1.5TB disk just the other day. Just got to install and cable the last 4 -3 Disk Enclosure for a future 12 disks in total in my Cooler Master Centurion 590 case.

8TB and rising in the months to come.

Archived