VMs not working after upgrade to 6.3.3 (solved)

I had 3 Windows VMs working perfectly right up until I rebooted into 6.3.3 this morning. Now the VMs tab shows "No Virtual Machines installed". I've already deleted the libvirt.img file, therefore recreating a new one, and have done a fresh reboot just to be sure (probably completely unnecessary, but want to be certain). Nothing is working and I'm now at a dead end, and I'd dearly love to get these VMs back up and running. Syslog attached (libvirt.log is blank, so not attached). Screenshots for reference...

syslog.txt

no_vms.PNG

vm_settings.PNG

14 minutes ago, ridge said:

I've already deleted the libvirt.img file, therefore recreating a new one

A new libvirt will always be empty, that's where all the VMs XMLs are stored, your original libvirt probably got corrupted or re-created in another place, search for duplicates with:

find /mnt -name libvirt.img

There will be duplicate results but that does not mean duplicate files necessarily, eg:

/mnt/user/system/libvirt/libvirt.img
/mnt/disk1/system/libvirt/libvirt.img

Are all the same file.

Edited by johnnie.black

Keep in mind that doesn't mean your VMs are gone as the vdisks themselves are separate from their configuration. You can reconstitute your VMs by adding new ones then when you get to the primary vdisk field, select Manual and path to the vdisks that way. If you name your VMs the same as before and you are using the default domains share for their storage, you shouldn't even need to select "Manual". It should automatically detect that a vdisk is already present.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. Jon, I figured the data was safe, I was just a little nervous about recreating the VM and pointing to an existing vdisk file without confirmation that all would be okay. After reading your post, and a fully-puckered moment of hitting "Create" on the new VM, it started up just fine.

I'm now up and running with my 3 existing VMs. Thanks again!

• ridge changed the title to VMs not working after upgrade to 6.3.3 (solved)