Norco 4224 Thread

Guest Jomp

I've been waiting for the Norco 4224 case to drop for a few months now. Its release seems eminent, so I decided to spec one out and buy the following hardware for my build. This will also serve as an anchor for Norco 4224 talk, since there have been discussions about it all over various threads, it would be nice to have them all in one central place.

Hold on, you may say, UnRaid only supports 20 drives! This is currently true, but based on this comment: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=4887.msg44997#msg44997 I'm assuming that we'll get 24 drives at some point, especially since there is now a cheap case that supports 24 drives.

What we know about the 4224:

------------

This is my UNTESTED build (I'll update the progress when the 4224 is available and I've built it):

• Motherboard: GA-EP45-UD3P
  • CPU: E5300 Wolfdale 2.6GHz LGA 775 Dual-Core
  • RAM: 2GB of DDR-2 in current system
  • PCIE Card: 2x Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8
  • Cables: 2 reverse breakout to SFF-8087 and 4 SFF-8087 to SFF-8087 cables
  • Power: Enermax in current system SeaSonic X750

This gets 24 drives via:

8x SATA on Motherboard

8x Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

8x Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

----

24 Drives!

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm kinda waiting for the same thing.  I'll have to investigate your choice of motherboard, and I already have 4GB of ram and an E7300 CPU, but otherwise it looks great... Now we have to wait for the Norco...

Yeah, I went back and forth on about 4 motherboards. I thought about using 3 AOC-SASLP-MV8's, tried to make the X7SBE work since IPMI is pretty awesome, and a few other iterations, but ultimately chose the GA-EP45-UD3P since it is the most cost effective for me and is known compatible and reliable.

Has anyone tried a SAS MV8 in this motherboard yet? Let alone two?

I remember someone having issues with the x16 slots being told VGA only...

I know that one of them will work  ;D

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=3739.0

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=3739.msg48650#msg48650

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=4091.msg46885#msg46885

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1034541814&postcount=12

The problem you're referring to was people sticking PCIE x1 cards in the 16x slots, which does not work, and gigabyte support not knowing anything about non-video PCIE cards in PCIE slots. I've updated the first post to reflect that this is an untested combo with dual AOC-SASLP-MV8 cards.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Update:

All the hardware listed in the top post is stable and working great. You can put two AOC-SASLP-MV8's in the GA-EP45-UD3P motherboard. Not a bad way to get 24 ports. HPA is disabled by default, so even if the BIOS gets reset for some reason, no HPA will be added to the disks. Just waiting on August for the RPC-4224 to ship and for Tom to hopefully add 3 more data device slots.

Update:

All the hardware listed in the top post is stable and working great. You can put two AOC-SASLP-MV8's in the GA-EP45-UD3P motherboard. Not a bad way to get 24 ports. HPA is disabled by default, so even if the BIOS gets reset for some reason, no HPA will be added to the disks. Just waiting on August for the RPC-4224 to ship and for Tom to hopefully add 3 more data device slots.

does this mean you have procured a 4224 and put it to use?

if so, pictures, please!!!

cheers.

True, but I don't think he released that version to the world.

4.5.6 has this in its source code file:

/* The maximum number of disks per array that we support.

*/

#define MD_SB_DISKS                    21

And this in the 4.5.6 release notes:

- Increase supported array width from 20 to 21 drives.

(20 data drives + parity = 21.  + 1 cache drive = 22 drives total)

Nice. Were you able to test S3 and WOL with the GA-EP45-UD3P and also are you able to control fan speed by software from within unRAID? Thanks much.

Nice indeed. I was pretty pleased when it booted up with two SASLP's installed and HPA being disabled by default.

Unfortunately I don't use either fan control or S3, so I haven't tested them.

True, but I don't think he released that version to the world.

4.5.6 has this in its source code file:

/* The maximum number of disks per array that we support.

*/

#define MD_SB_DISKS                     21

And this in the 4.5.6 release notes:

- Increase supported array width from 20 to 21 drives.

(20 data drives + parity = 21.  + 1 cache drive = 22 drives total)

If he upsizes again, I really hope it'll include 23 data drives + 1 parity as an option. As one who doesn't use a cache drive, an additional data drive in that slot would be great.

• Guest changed the title to Norco 4224 Thread