Can you install Linux software on unRaid?

I'm not a Linux expert, but I don't think Slackware has a traditional package manager like Debian/Arch etc based distros. Is installing other software supported and if so how? The other option of course is not to clutter unRaid and affect the OS, and use a VM or Docker for this?

Still new to Linux but am enjoying finding cool stuff. I found jdupes/fdupes to find duplicates. I think there is a script/plugin for this somewhere?

Is there a docker which gives you a minimal Linux shell? But it wouldn't have access to the main OS right? e.g if I want to run htop.

I'd go one further on what @garycase suggests and change the word "could" to "should"  honestly, it'll be much easier.  However, it would be helpful if you gave us more details on what you want to accomplish, then we can suggest the best way to proceed.

Slackware is definitely not for the faint hearted.  I can muddle through the bits I need, but that's as far as I want to go.  Having said that I need to try installing Arch from scratch at some point and my understanding is that's easier than Slackware or Gentoo.

• 8 months later...

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but it kind of was about the same thing I wonder.

I've for many years used LibreELEC for my media, and I've got this program https://github.com/1100101/Automatic  as an addon running in LibreELEC. Now I've switched to unRAID as server, and got a VERO 4k running OSMC instead, and I kind of want to use the same program.

Is there a way having it as a docker, or just run the program, in unRAID?

/Söder