AirVideo Server for iPhone/iPad- a "how-to"

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, attached is the unmenu package for the updated airvideo.  Just download and unzip and then move the .conf file to were it needs to be.

I added some checks in there to exit if a couple of things are not present.  I have tested this a couple of times and it seems to work for me.

Ok I got it installed and I can manually add the unraid server's IP address and it sees the folders and the names of the videos but it doesn't actually allow me to see any videos. I am using the free iPhone/iPad client to try it out first.

How do I tell if everything installed correctly? Any other idea?

Thx!

ETA: Ah I think this is my problem...how do I fix this?

#

Executing install script for libXau-1.0.4-i486-1.tgz.

Package libXau-1.0.4-i486-1.tgz installed.

ffmpeg compile failed. install aborted

OK, attached is the unmenu package for the updated airvideo.  Just download and unzip and then move the .conf file to were it needs to be.

I added some checks in there to exit if a couple of things are not present.  I have tested this a couple of times and it seems to work for me.

Ok I got it installed and I can manually add the unraid server's IP address and it sees the folders and the names of the videos but it doesn't actually allow me to see any videos. I am using the free iPhone/iPad client to try it out first.

Thx!

#

You need bzip2 installed, and the gcc compiler to get it to compile.

I have a new version ready and will be uploading it tonight when i get home.

A note i will mention now is that if you have less then 1GB of RAM i suggest NOT using this package.  The compile of ffmpeg is taxing and uses a lot of RAM.

Would it be possible to distribute the pre-compiled binaries? Rather than relying on compilation at install time?

No idea if something in the process / licensing would make this impossible.

Thx!

#

I don't have access to my unraid box at this moment, but I remember a gcc compiler in unmenu. I don't recall bzip2 but some other zip program I installed through unmenu.

Is bzip an unmenu package? I don't see any mention of how to install it in the thread as well.

Thx!

#

I don't have access to my unraid box at this moment, but I remember a gcc compiler in unmenu. I don't recall bzip2 but some other zip program I installed through unmenu.

Is bzip an unmenu package? I don't see any mention of how to install it in the thread as well.

pbzip2  (parallel bzip2) is a recently added unMENU package.  (Use the Check for Updates and Install Updates buttons on the user-scripts page to get an updated set of packages)

Joe L.

Thx!

#

pbzip2  (parallel bzip2) is a recently added unMENU package.   (Use the Check for Updates and Install Updates buttons on the user-scripts page to get an updated set of packages)

Joe L.

pbzip2 and gcc compiler is installed. Still getting:

Any ideas?

Any ideas?

Try opening the .conf file and running the lines to compile ffmpeg yourself.  Do it via a telnet session and see what happens.  The lines you need to run are in the .conf file but if you can't figure them out let us know and we can try and help.

Any ideas?

Try opening the .conf file and running the lines to compile ffmpeg yourself.  Do it via a telnet session and see what happens.  The lines you need to run are in the .conf file but if you can't figure them out let us know and we can try and help.

This is what I'm getting.

root@Serenity:/boot/packages/ffmpeg# ./configure.orig.fixed --enable-gpl --enable-nonfree --enable-postproc --enable-pthreads --enable-libfaac --enable-libfaad --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libx264 --enable-libxvid --enable-x11grab --disable-shared --enable-static --disable-decoder=aac; make;

ERROR: libx264 not found

If you think configure made a mistake, make sure you are using the latest

version from SVN.  If the latest version fails, report the problem to the

[email protected] mailing list or IRC #ffmpeg on irc.freenode.net.

Include the log file "config.err" produced by configure as this will help

solving the problem.

Any ideas?

Here is an updated package.conf file.  Try it instead.

I made a few changes to make it work on my servers.  I can even get it to compile on my older server with only 512 Meg of ram if I "Stop" the array first and by specifying a temp directory of /boot/packages/compile_temp_dir in the newly provided configure field.  By "Stopping" the array, the memory used by the user-share file-system is freed. 

Once the compile of ffmpeg is successful, it will not need the compiler again and will not attempt to compile it.

I fixed the "Buttons" and rc. scripts too so they work too.

Have fun.  It is attached.

Joe L.

airvideo-unmenu-package.zip

Any ideas?

I made a few changes to make it work on my servers.   I can even get it to compile on my older server with only 512 Meg of ram if I "Stop" the array first and by specifying a temp directory of /boot/packages/compile_temp_dir in the newly provided configure field.  By "Stopping" the array, the memory used by the user-share file-system is freed. 

Once the compile of ffmpeg is successful, it will not need the compiler again and will not attempt to compile it.

Joe L.

Hi Joe,

Thanks. I just tried it. Well at least I think I did. I simply dropped it in my unmenu folder, edited the parameters and the said re-install with the new parameters.

TMPDIR set to /var/tmp

solving the problem.

Makefile:1: config.mak: No such file or directory

libavutil/Makefile:1: libavutil/../config.mak: No such file or directory

make: *** No rule to make target `libavutil/../config.mak'.  Stop.

Any ideas?

I made a few changes to make it work on my servers.   I can even get it to compile on my older server with only 512 Meg of ram if I "Stop" the array first and by specifying a temp directory of /boot/packages/compile_temp_dir in the newly provided configure field.  By "Stopping" the array, the memory used by the user-share file-system is freed. 

Joe L.

Hi Joe,

Thanks. I just tried it. Well at least I think I did. I simply dropped it in my unmenu folder, edited the parameters and the said re-install with the new parameters.

TMPDIR set to /var/tmp

solving the problem.

I have a feeling it is trying to finish an incomplete install.

Type

rm -rf /boot/packages/ffmpeg

and then try once more.

I am assuming that the x264 library shows as  downloaded and a matching checksum. 

Joe L.

Any ideas?

Joe L.

Hi Joe,

TMPDIR set to /var/tmp

solving the problem.

I have a feeling it is trying to finish an incomplete install.

Type

rm -rf /boot/packages/ffmpeg

and then try once more.

I am assuming that the x264 library shows as  downloaded and a matching checksum. 

Joe L.

Executed on my server:

root@Serenity:~# rm -rf /boot/packages/ffmpeg

root@Serenity:~#

Then re-ran the AirVideo installation. I had to edit the parameters, save it again and then re-install with the new parameters. All files in the package matches checksum. Everything else above the following lines shows as installed. No other errors that I can see.

TMPDIR set to /var/tmp

solving the problem.

Well...my server crashed :).

When it came up I tried Joe L.'s directions on deleting the ffmpeg directory and trying the install again. I had 4GB RAM and except for unMenu really no add-ons but I guess I was out of RAM.

The system was still mounting the array when I did this but I got a pile of new messages that I've never seen before it failed. I've cut/pasted it into a txt file.

It says I'm out of virtual memory?

Apologies for the hassles and I appreciate all the help.

AirVideo-ffmpeg.txt

When it came up I tried Joe L.'s directions on deleting the ffmpeg directory and trying the install again. I had 4GB RAM and except for unMenu really no add-ons but I guess I was out of RAM.

The system was still mounting the array when I did this but I got a pile of new messages that I've never seen before it failed. I've cut/pasted it into a txt file.

I think I mentioned in the package description that you might need to Stop the array in order to free up the memory the user-share file-system uses.  Did you?

Did you set the Temp Directory in the config to something other than /var/tmp?  I had to set mine to /boot/packages/temp_compile_dir

If you do not the temporary files created by the compiler will eat up your memory.  If I can compile with 512 Meg, you should have no issue with 4Gig.

Joe L.

I think I mentioned in the package description that you might need to Stop the array in order to free up the memory the user-share file-system uses.  Did you?

Did you set the Temp Directory in the config to something other than /var/tmp?   I had to set mine to /boot/packages/temp_compile_dir

If you do not the temporary files created by the compiler will eat up your memory.  If I can compile with 512 Meg, you should have no issue with 4Gig.

Joe L.

I didn't previously as I thought I had plenty of RAM. I just stopped the Parity Check now and set the temp directory to what you indicated. Still no luck. Attached is the latest output.

ETA: Here's the memory output from unmenu:

(from /usr/bin/free)           

total          used      free    shared    buffers    cached

Mem:      4112188    715028    3397160          0      5580    670496

-/+ buffers/cache:      38952    4073236

Swap:            0          0          0

I think that means I have plenty free?

AirVideo-ffmpeg1.zip

I think it means you have plenty free too.

I do see there are several commands that were only executed if you have less than 768 Meg of RAM.  They might be the difference

sync

echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches

sysctl -w vm.vfs_cache_pressure=200

Most of your memory is tied up in the buffer cache, and it is not going to release it easily.

The three commands above will clear the disk buffer cache after first writing it out to the disks if needed, and then set one of the kernel parameters to request it to not keep the cache tied up as tightly.

Then, you can just type:

cd /boot/packages/ffmpeg

make

I think it means you have plenty free too.

I do see there are several commands that were only executed if you have less than 768 Meg of RAM.  They might be the difference

sync

echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches

sysctl -w vm.vfs_cache_pressure=200

Most of your memory is tied up in the buffer cache, and it is not going to release it easily.

The three commands above will clear the disk buffer cache after first writing it out to the disks if needed, and then set one of the kernel parameters to request it to not keep the cache tied up as tightly.

Then, you can just type:

cd /boot/packages/ffmpeg

make

YES!!! Thanks! It looks like it compiled this way and it seems to have installed AirVideo! At least I don't get any errors when from the installation process now.

Unfortunately, it seems like every video shows a ? mark instead of a thumbnail next to it and when I click on it, it doesn't do anything or I get Unexpected Error messages on both my iPad and iPhone.

I'm using the AirVideo package here and the AirVideo Free package to try out if that matters but I'm guessing now it isn't a package issue but something to do with AirVideo itself still any ideas is always appreciated.

Thanks for all the other help too :).

ETA: I installed the AirVideo server on my MacBook and I can connect to the videos without a problem and it seems to be playing them so either I still haven't something incorrectly installed on the unRAID server or the version I have on the unRAID isn't compatible yet?

Abeta,

I couldn't help noticing that I ran into what sounds like the exact same issues as you - "?" for thumbnails and selecting a movie popped up the "unexpected error" after a timeout, and all this even after ffmpeg successfully compiled.

what turned out to be the case for me was that airvideo server (or ffmpeg itself - i forget now) was still missing libraries when trying to create thumbnails as well as convert/stream the movies (I list those libraries in a previous post, but since they seemed to get no love by other folks, I assume things may be different with your install, so YMMV :) ).

what I ended up doing was running the airvideo "start" command from a terminal session.  I telnet'ed into unRAID, navigated to the directory containing my air-video-server.sh file and ran the following command at the prompt:

root@AJs_Unraid:/boot/custom/airvideo# bash air-video-server.sh test.properties

then I sat in front of the terminal window as I tried to pull up a thumbnail or actual video file from my iphone.  this outputted a series of messages to the terminal.  sorting through this debug output eventually lead me down the right path and helped identify all the "missing" libraries.  as an FYI, these libraries didn't appear to be needed during the ffmpeg compile, but rather needed to be present while running the server.  Perhaps posting those error messages (if there are any) can help Joe L. and/or prostuff1 provide more detailed instructions for your install...

one last disclosure...  I did make 1 additional change to my air-video-server.sh file which I don't know if it was necessary.  I was running into X11 errors in my debug output, but saw in another forum (the official airvideo forum over at inmethod.com) a suggestion to run "headless".  I don't know if it's needed with the unMenu route, but it appears to have helped with my install...

exec /usr/lib/jre1.6.0_11/bin/java -Djava.awt.headless=true -jar /boot/packages/AirVideoServerLinux.jar "$PROPFILE"

I added "-Djava.awt.headless=true" to the last line where java's being told to start the airvideo server...

thx

For me, it was the following:

glibc-solibs-2.11.1-i486-3.txz

libtheora-1.1.1-i486-1.txz

libusb-1.0.6-i486-1.txz

libXdmcp-1.0.3-i486-1.txz

libXext-1.1-i486-1.txz

libXfixes-4.0.4-i486-1.txz

libXi-1.3-i486-1.txz

libXtst-1.1.0-i486-1.txz

openssl-solibs-0.9.8n-i486-1.txz

This list was compiled using BRiT's list on page 7 of this thread in addition to the debug output when running in terminal.  That being said, I don't know if this is all-inclusive since I didn't take good notes  :(.  To be quite honest, my approach was more newbie-ish hacking away vs anything methodical. 

Perhaps abeta can jot down any missing libraries that the debug outputs if he tries running from the terminal...

For me, it was the following:

glibc-solibs-2.11.1-i486-3.txz

libtheora-1.1.1-i486-1.txz

libusb-1.0.6-i486-1.txz

libXdmcp-1.0.3-i486-1.txz

libXext-1.1-i486-1.txz

libXfixes-4.0.4-i486-1.txz

libXi-1.3-i486-1.txz

libXtst-1.1.0-i486-1.txz

openssl-solibs-0.9.8n-i486-1.txz

This list was compiled using BRiT's list on page 7 of this thread in addition to the debug output when running in terminal.  That being said, I don't know if this is all-inclusive since I didn't take good notes  :(.  To be quite honest, my approach was more newbie-ish hacking away vs anything methodical. 

Perhaps abeta can jot down any missing libraries that the debug outputs if he tries running from the terminal...

I manually started a terminal and then tried to call up a file. I don't get anything on the screen other than the stuff before I tried to pull up a thumbnail. I'm not seeing any new error messages when I tried to pull up files?

Hmmm...  I wonder if it's because the server is still running via unMenu.  Can you stop the server via the button in user scripts section and then switch to terminal and try to start it via the terminal again?

FYI, here's a sample of the first few lines of the debug output from my server starting and trying to generate a thumbnail

root@AJs_Unraid:~# cd /boot/custom/airvideo/
root@AJs_Unraid:/boot/custom/airvideo# bash air-video-server.sh test.properties
DEBUG: SnapshotCache: Initializing Thumbnail Cache; Java Version: 1.6.0_11
DEBUG: SnapshotCache: Created new Snapshot Index BTree2010-08-03 22:01:22.154::INFO:  Logging to STDERR via org.mortbay.log.StdErrLog
2010-08-03 22:01:22.191::INFO:  jetty-6.1.x
2010-08-03 22:01:22.221::INFO:  Started [email protected]:45631
DEBUG: PortMapperAction: Scheduling task PortMapperAction$2 (3346521)
/boot/packages/ffmpeg/ffmpeg -ss 900.0 -vframes 1 -i "/mnt/user/Matrix/Movies/300 [2006].avi" -f mjpeg -
DEBUG: Thumbnail: >>
347974746F346B7A78707A7C7E68347D7D766B7E7C347D7D766B7E7C3B3668683B222B2B352B3B366D7D697A767E683B2A3B36723B393476756F346E
687E6934567A6F6972633456746D727E6834282B2B3B40292B2B2D46357A6D72393B367D3B76716B7E7C3B36
<<