AirVideo Server for iPhone/iPad- a "how-to"

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In case anyone's interested, it appears that a new alpha version has been released:

http://inmethod.com/air-video/download/linux/alpha4/AirVideoServerLinux.jar.

I'm trying to track down a change list, but will d/l and play around with it some to see if it's worth the upgrade...

thx

-alex

A recompile should not be needed.  Your .autoinstall file might be screwed up a little bit, but not positive on that.  If you attempt to re-download and install you will download alpha3 instead of alpha4.

Just download and replace this file or do we need to recompile ffmpeg?

In case anyone's interested, it appears that a new alpha version has been released:

http://inmethod.com/air-video/download/linux/alpha4/AirVideoServerLinux.jar.

I'm trying to track down a change list, but will d/l and play around with it some to see if it's worth the upgrade...

thx

-alex

A recompile should not be needed.  Your .autoinstall file might be screwed up a little bit, but not positive on that.  If you attempt to re-download and install you will download alpha3 instead of alpha4.

Just download and replace this file or do we need to recompile ffmpeg?

Any news?  I updated my iphone app today to new version and now it says i need to update my server to newer version to play videos.

Follow up - Ok i went ahead replaced the file and it works!!!  No problems so far!

It's the same error. It'll crash 1/2 the time and the other half spit out the error to update. Simple copying/updating the AirVideoServerLinux.jar file didn't work for me.

I had to "reinstall" through unMenu. ie, Stop AirVideo. Just edit the settings and "accept" them again. Start AirVideo.

I didn't have to recompile ffmpeg which is nice.

Unmenu says the MD5 checksum doesn't match. I don't know how to "edit/fix" that :).

ETA: Ok, Joe L. can correct me if I dorked it up. To correct or edit the airvideo-unmenu-package.conf file with the correct MD5 checksum. I did the following:

root@Serenity:/boot/packages# md5sum AirVideoServerLinux.jar

5a079ecf382fce352096c84bf39c387a  AirVideoServerLinux.jar

I then copied/paste that MD5 value to the .conf file

# the airvideo server .jar file

PACKAGE_URL http://inmethod.com/air-video/download/linux/alpha3/AirVideoServerLinux.jar

PACKAGE_FILE AirVideoServerLinux.jar

PACKAGE_MD5 5a079ecf382fce352096c84bf39c387a

It seems to have stopped complaining at me.

Yeah i have mine back to the way it was working but since i have updated my ipad and iphone with the new apps i cannot play the videos anymore. Hopefully someone will figure out a fix.

Update: Just Read this on Airvideo forum! 

I'm pleased to announce that new Air Video Server version is available.

You can download it for Mac OS X and Microsoft Windows. - Didnt see it yet for Linux

Changes since last stable release

- Improved playback over 3G

- Longer timeout for thumbnail generation  -  this looks to be why it was crashing!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 09/14/2010 02:19:42

Yeah i have mine back to the way it was working but since i have updated my ipad and iphone with the new apps i cannot play the videos anymore. Hopefully someone will figure out a fix.

You can download it for Mac OS X and Microsoft Windows. - Didnt see it yet for Linux

- Longer timeout for thumbnail generation   -  this looks to be why it was crashing!

It works fine with the AirVideo update that came out today. That's what I tested with on my iPad and iPhone 4. I didn't test it on my iPhone 3G.

Download Alpha4 and reinstall. I edited the conf file so it would reinstall on my unRaid reboot. For some reason it would run but wouldn't reinstall if the MD5 was still complaining.

- Longer timeout for thumbnail generation   -  this looks to be why it was crashing!

It works fine with the AirVideo update that came out today. That's what I tested with on my iPad and iPhone 4. I didn't test it on my iPhone 3G.

Download Alpha4 and reinstall. I edited the conf file so it would reinstall on my unRaid reboot. For some reason it would run but wouldn't reinstall if the MD5 was still complaining.

You did exactly the right thing... with one tiny omission.  The next time you check for updates in unMENU, the checksum of the .conf file will not match that expected (since you edited it) and it will be overwritten with the older content version.

You can add one line to the .conf file that will prevent it from being updated automatically.  The line to add is:

#AUTO_UPDATE=NO

You can add the line anywhere in the file as long as it is on its own line and starts with the "#" exactly as shown here.

With it added, you get a notification that the "newer" version is available, but it will not install it.

Once I get confirmation from others that the newer version is working I'll update the .conf file version in SVN control on google.com so you'll be able to remove your AUTO_UPDATE directive line.

Joe L.

ETA: Ok, Joe L. can correct me if I dorked it up. To correct or edit the airvideo-unmenu-package.conf file with the correct MD5 checksum. I did the following:

The package files are not intended to be cryptic... Glad you were able to figure it out.

You did exactly what was needed to fix the MD5 checksum.  They are there to prevent a corrupted or partial download from being installed.  for installation to occur, all the checksums must match.

The package files are not intended to be cryptic... Glad you were able to figure it out.

You did exactly what was needed to fix the MD5 checksum.   They are there to prevent a corrupted or partial download from being installed.  for installation to occur, all the checksums must match.

It makes sense if you look at it. It just isn't something I normally play with as everything usually works without me figuring it out  ;D.

That said, the Alpha4 and AirVideo update (from iTunes today) works fine through a reboot of unRaid for me.

It's the same error. It'll crash 1/2 the time and the other half spit out the error to update. Simple copying/updating the AirVideoServerLinux.jar file didn't work for me.

I had to "reinstall" through unMenu. ie, Stop AirVideo. Just edit the settings and "accept" them again. Start AirVideo.

I didn't have to recompile ffmpeg which is nice.

Unmenu says the MD5 checksum doesn't match. I don't know how to "edit/fix" that :).

root@Serenity:/boot/packages# md5sum AirVideoServerLinux.jar

5a079ecf382fce352096c84bf39c387a  AirVideoServerLinux.jar

I then copied/paste that MD5 value to the .conf file

# the airvideo server .jar file

PACKAGE_URL http://inmethod.com/air-video/download/linux/alpha3/AirVideoServerLinux.jar

PACKAGE_FILE AirVideoServerLinux.jar

PACKAGE_MD5 5a079ecf382fce352096c84bf39c387a

The only mistake i see is in the PACKAGE_URL line.  If you want to download and run the alpha4 version you need to use the URL that was given about (this one).

I just updated it through unmenu and its not working.  iPad says "server software is outdated" and under package manager it says "AirVideo Installed, but version is different. Current version='2.2.5' expected '2.2.5-alpha4'"

any idea?

Did you install the new version?  It sounds like you did not.  (The new version should have written a 2.2.5-alpha4 version string, and you still have the old version string being detected.)

All that the "Update" button does is download the new .conf file.  You still need to use the package manager to install it. (It sounds as if you already updated the ipod/ipad, and it wants the newer version.

I just updated it through unmenu and its not working.  iPad says "server software is outdated" and under package manager it says "AirVideo Installed, but version is different. Current version='2.2.5' expected '2.2.5-alpha4'"

any idea?

Did you install the new version?  It sounds like you did not.  (The new version should have written a 2.2.5-alpha4 version string, and you still have the old version string being detected.)

All that the "Update" button does is download the new .conf file.  You still need to use the package manager to install it. (It sounds as if you already updated the ipod/ipad, and it wants the newer version.

Seems to be working now

thanks Joe