Hardlinks and Junctions

shEiD

I am(was) using hardlinks and junction extensively on my windows server. Now that I'm migrating to unRAID, the question is does unRAID support hardlinks and junctions?

If I understand correctly, hardlinks are properly supported on the "same disk". But junctions - I can't find anything about them.

And if they are supported - what is the easiest way to create hardlinks and junctions?

Linux supports soft and hard links plus you can use mount points which I believe work similar to junctions.

For instance my cache drive is a small SSD for my dockers and VM image drives.  I mount another (much larger) drive on the cache drive under one of my user share names.  Then I can copy to that folder on the cache and the files show up under the user share.  Since this is an unprotected share I don't leave files on it like that very long.  This allows me to get the files visible sooner to the network and then move them to the array and keep them always visible to the network.  But like I said until those files are ON the array if that disk had problems I could loose them all.  This allows me to use a smaller (and thereby cheaper) SSD for my apps while still maintaining ample space on my cache drive.

here is the script I setup to do that on one of my servers:

umount /mnt/cache/MediaCenter
samba stop

mkdir -p /mnt/cache/MediaCenter

samba start

mount -w -t xfs  /dev/disk/by-id/ata-Hitachi_HDS724040ALE640_xxxxxxxxxx-part1 /mnt/cache/MediaCenter 2>&1

where xxxxxx is the serial number of my Hitachi drive above. 

Also note this was my remount script in case I had to stop the array and it gets disconnected and I don't notice it before starting the array up again.

So I just execute this from putty/ssl connection.

@BobPhoenix Sorry, but mount points are completely different thing, as I understand.

After some googling, I think in linux symlinks are the same as junctions or softlinks (which are better) on windows. Hardlinks are pretty much the same everywhere, I gather.

Now the question:

1. Can I make symlinks using krusader (in docker container)? I am complete newb as it comes to unraid and linux overall... so sorry if it's a silly question.
  2. Can I make symlinks only in the same drive (as hardlinks only work on the same drive) or can I make symlinks in the user shares or across user shares?
  3. Can I make hardlinks using krusader?

Basically, both symlinks and hardlinks are indispensable, when it comes to torrents and seeding.

As I mentioned, I'm new to unraid and linux, basically - a windows user through and through - so my command line and ssh skills are abysmal... And krusader is pretty cool and convenient way to manage files via GUI.

Archived