System gets unresponsive when a docker app starts a file transfer

lixe

For some time now I'm trying to figure out why my unraid machine gets absolutely unresponsive when sab is unpacking or a (big) file is getting transferred. My array contains 3 disks, 1 parity drive and 1 cache drive (non-ssd). Of course I thought getting a ssd would solve my problem, but I don't believe that that's the real problem...

My server hung up a few hours ago while the mover was running. After restarting the server and the array, a parity check got started and I also continued the mover operation, since not too much was left... and then I noticed that everything was responsive even though not as fast as usually. But a parity check was running AND a file transfer (cache -> array).

So if a docker app starts a transfer of any kind (sab starts unpacking, Sonarr moves/copies the file afterwards) everything gets unresponsive. I'm not able to open the WebGUI nor any docker app.

As it seems a file transfer itself isn't the problem, since it's not happening when using the mover command.

So, does anybody maybe have a clue what could go wrong when my docker apps are starting these disk activities?

I have a HP MicroServer Gen8 with an Intel Celeron and 4GB RAM, not that much but thought it should be enough for mainly sab, sonarr, plex and nextcloud... the RAM usage is usually about 70-80% (according to the unRAID dashboard).

But I just found out something interesting. My downloads folder was set to cache only. So downloading and unpacking happened only on the cache drive. Even the media folder was set to using cache (until Mover moves it to the array once in a week). Now I tried downloading and everything after that only on the array, and voilà... everything is responsive...

My docker.img file is located on my cache disk. I guess it's just to much for my cache disk (since it's an 5400rpm HDD), if it has to handle the docker.img, reading for unpacking and also writing for unpacking...

So right now it seems as if I have two choices:

1. put docker.img on the array, so the cache disk can handle all the downloads, unpacking and so on...

2. put docker.img on the cache, but then I have to write everything to the array...

Both options aren't perfect, because I don't want the array to be always spun up (docker.img on array) and I don't want to write everything multiple times to the array (download, unpacked, moved)... is an SSD the only way and would it solve all my problems? or should I get another disk for a cache pool for example, so that docker.img and my downloads are handled by multiple drives instead of one?

Thanks for your support!

Archived