New to unRAID...a few questions...

stevep94

Quick question about my cache drive - do I really need it??

I appreciate that anything I copy to the array or download to the array is first written to the cache drive for the sake of speed - but is this the only benefit? The reason I ask is because so far I've just been copying/downloading and then I'm finding myself running the mover to get it "finished" and so in reality I'm not getting any speed benefit at all - or am I??

I know the cache drive is the best place for the apps and dockers to be installed to for the sake of speed but i'm wondering whether to just "turn off" the cache drive and start copying straight to the shares?? (I presume it's literally as simple as choosing "no" in the user share settings??

Thanks....

Quick question about my cache drive - do I really need it??

I appreciate that anything I copy to the array or download to the array is first written to the cache drive for the sake of speed - but is this the only benefit? The reason I ask is because so far I've just been copying/downloading and then I'm finding myself running the mover to get it "finished" and so in reality I'm not getting any speed benefit at all - or am I??

I know the cache drive is the best place for the apps and dockers to be installed to for the sake of speed but i'm wondering whether to just "turn off" the cache drive and start copying straight to the shares?? (I presume it's literally as simple as choosing "no" in the user share settings??

Thanks....
As soon as as a cache enables share has the file on it it is available before you run mover.

But, it's becoming more prevalent to only use the cache drive as an application drive and simply have all writes to user shares simply go straight to the array.

Right, I thought I'd take the cache drive out of the equation and started a torrent download - whereas previously I'd be maxing out my connection at 7-8MB/sec, now I'm only getting 100-200 KiB/s!?!? Surely the cache drive can't have had this effect can it??

*edit* Ignore me, it was a setting within Deluge that was throttling things!

Edited by stevep94

thats an old raid card for sure.  looks like a perc6i.  limited to 2tb.  slow. and gets hot like the devil (burned my hand on one).  the connectors look questionable....  to my knowledge the 6i's werent capable of talking to SAS drives, but i guess im wrong on that.  lolz.  thats why there is a strange notch in there (for more pins to communicate to a SAS drive vs. a Sata).  im sure you figured all that out.  personally i'd rip all that stuff out and start fresh with a better raid card.  but power might be a limitation in that setup.  that SAS connector to the raid card is  looks like a SFF-8482  but most are SFF-8088.  Looks like there are converter plugs on ebay, so if you decide to go a different route, their might be options.  

good luck.

reference:

https://www.pc-pitstop.com/sas_cables_adapters/sff-8482/ 

https://www.ebay.com/i/251525355434?chn=ps&dispItem=1