We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

System Freezing?

showstopper

Hi guys,

Is there anyway that i can diagnose an issue with my system? It is randomly freezing and i am not sure where to start. The syslog file is basically empty (it is only showing the events after i have reset the system. I was wondering if there are any other logs i can look at, or start logging?

Thanks in advance.

3 hours ago, showstopper said:

Is there anyway that i can diagnose an issue with my system?

Install the 'Fix Common Problems' plugin and turn on its troubleshooting mode.  It will periodically write logs to the logs folder.  You can upload these to the forum.  Also connect a monitor to the server and after it freezes, see what is on the monitor.  If the bottom line on the screen is anything but a login prompt, take photos until you get one that is non-blurry, sharply focused without a flash spot in it.  

Install the 'Fix Common Problems' plugin and turn on its troubleshooting mode.  It will periodically write logs to the logs folder.  You can upload these to the forum.  Also connect a monitor to the server and after it freezes, see what is on the monitor.  If the bottom line on the screen is anything but a login prompt, take photos until you get one that is non-blurry, sharply focused without a flash spot in it.  

Thanks for this, I'll get that setup. I have ipmi access to the server and it is just the login screen but is completely unresponsive.
  • 3 weeks later...

They should be in the logs folder/directory on the flash drive.   You should be seeing one named FCPsyslog_tail.txt  (It has been quite a while since I last used FCP in the trouble shooting mode but that file stores the results of the 10 minute tail command.  I believe it also generates a syslog operation periodically.) 

2 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

They should be in the logs folder/directory on the flash drive.   You should be seeing one named FCPsyslog_tail.txt  (It has been quite a while since I last used FCP in the trouble shooting mode but that file stores the results of the 10 minute tail command.  I believe it also generates a syslog operation periodically.) 

Yeah i think i may have rebooted a week before the crash - and that stops the logging. So i have enabled it again.

Thank you for replying, and your help so far.

• 1 month later...

I am no expert on syslogs but I didn't see anything in the logs to indicate a problem.  I am wondering what CPU you are using.  Intel is/was having issues with the 'patches' to their microcode that they released and were incorporated into 6.4.0.  Per their request, they were removed in 6.4.1.  You might upgrade to that and see if that helps.  

17 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

I am no expert on syslogs but I didn't see anything in the logs to indicate a problem.  I am wondering what CPU you are using.  Intel is/was having issues with the 'patches' to their microcode that they released and were incorporated into 6.4.0.  Per their request, they were removed in 6.4.1.  You might upgrade to that and see if that helps.  

Thanks again for your help. I was getting freezing on 6.3.0 as well, so im not sure that is the problem.

Is there any place to upload the logs do you know, or is there no support for unraid?

Archived