8600k build guidance for 2 in 1 VM workstation

ThePhotraveller

Am planning to do a new build for photo editing  Focused and the machine will be running 10 hours a day minimum. 

Planning to go with 8600k/(8700k - the later part of my doubt) 

So splitting the overall cores as 3+3 i.e VM+VM

Do need 2 separate graphic cards so my doubt here is that do i need a good mid range gpu like 1050 ti or some low eng gpu is fine? Like GT 730?

The computer will run photoshop and lightroom cc, latest version of both. 

So splitting the over all 6 cores as 3+3 without anything for Unraid is fine? 

And the later part is that having 8700k instead of 8600k will actually the extra hyper threads do benefit me? 

Is it worth the extra spend on the 8700k?

And 3. Do i have to keep a graphic card for unraid? 

Hi -

unRAID isn't just a hypervisor, it's an operating system.  So it needs memory, CPU, and video for itself to use.  Each active VM using hardware pass-through will need video, as will unRAID (unRAID can typically use the IGP).  The video card should be matched with what the VM is doing - so if you would normally put a mid-range GPU in a dedicated PC, then a mid-range GPU should be fine for passing through to a VM on unRAID - pick ones known to be compatible with hardware pass-through.  I'd go for the 8700k since you want to run two serious VMs that each require some real CPU.

4 hours ago, tdallen said:

Hi -

unRAID isn't just a hypervisor, it's an operating system.  So it needs memory, CPU, and video for itself to use.  Each active VM using hardware pass-through will need video, as will unRAID (unRAID can typically use the IGP).  The video card should be matched with what the VM is doing - so if you would normally put a mid-range GPU in a dedicated PC, then a mid-range GPU should be fine for passing through to a VM on unRAID - pick ones known to be compatible with hardware pass-through.  I'd go for the 8700k since you want to run two serious VMs that each require some real CPU.

Please reply for the above doubts pal

The beauty of unraid is that everything can share resources i.e. cores, memory etc.  It's a true multi-tasking beast. This though can cause problems when things get busy.  I don't know how intensive photo editing is, so guestimate how how much grunt you'll need and whether 2-3 cores will be sufficient per vm. If you can free up a core for unraid and the emulator, things will run a lot smoother.

Gt730s work perfectly - I've got 2 running in VMs 24x7.  Most Nvidia cards work well.

Archived