Upgrading server

skank

Hi

I'm planning to expand my server (short of space)

My setup

-ASUS M4A78LT-M - Moederbord - micro ATX - AMD 760G -

Socket AM3 - UDMA133, SATA-300 (RAID) - Gigabit

Ethernet - video - High Def

-Processor - 1 x AMD Athlon II X2 240e / 2.8 GHz Energy

Efficient - Socket AM3 - L2 2 MB ( 2 x 1 MB ) - Box

-Corsair CX430 - power supply

-Kingston ValueRAM - Memory - 4 GB : 2 x 2 GB - DIMM

240-pins - DDR3 - 1333 MHz / PC3-10600 - CL9 - 1.5 V -

AOC-SASLP expansion card

- 1x parity 3tb wd ears green

- 1x data 3tb wd ears green

- 4x data 2tb wd ears green

- 1 cache disk of +- 150 gig

How many drives can i connect?

I want to get a bigger parity should i go 4tb or 6tb?

I'm still on unraid 6.0.?

Upgrade to latest version?

How many drives can i connect?

With the correct licence you can connect up to 30 drives in the array and limitless unassigned drives....provided you have a way to connect the drives to your system.   

I want to get a bigger parity should i go 4tb or 6tb?

I had just asked this and an experience user suggested I go straight to 8tb. Sets you up for the future and probably brings some newer advantages to the party
             8tb drives are at a fair price/tb but you can find the popular shuckable WD easyshare at bestbuy on sale usually and hopefully containing a WD red drive.

I'm still on unraid 6.0.?

Upgrade to latest version?

I would, you get the latest features and newest safety standards. Also tech/community support will be able to provide help with troubleshooting a tad faster more often than not. 

I would say your psu is fine, your cpu is only a 45w chip and you have nothing else that takes up that much power. All newer controllers are going to support today's capacity hard drives but if you go with an older one, all the popular ones have newer firmwares you can flash to allow them to utilize larger disks. (same with your motherboard, just make sure your bios is up-to-date) 

and your system would work with the upgrade, going from 6.0 to 6.3.5 is updates to the current version. It'd be a version jump like 7, when legacy devices might start becoming unsupported. Ive seen with linux os's like this they usually never remove compatibility hardware and only add newer hardware. But if you're still worried, there is a pluggin you can install and create a back up of your current unraid status to fall back on if you have a problem. I think it's CA appdata backup/restore

• 2 years later...

Jumping up this old topic.

I need another drive, which 6tb would you take?

Seagate barracuda 6tb is fine?

I also planning to replace my cache disk, which has too low space, i want more

Probably go and take a ssd drive

Which would you recommend?

Kingston A2000 500GB M.2 SSD is good?

Fits?

Thx for the help

No that Kingston A2000 will not fit since your board doesn't have a M.2 connection and as such you'll only option would be a PCIe slot. I'm no expert on PCI slots, but that A2000 will never be able to have its full potential or even worse it might not even work. So all in all it would be better to look for a SATA SSD instead.

Something you need to lookout for (tipped to me by testdasi here) is to make sure that it's 3D TLC (or V-NAND) and not QLC.

For example Gigabyte UD Pro, ADATA Ultimate SU800 and Kingston KC600 are some options you might look into.

On 2/2/2020 at 11:14 AM, skank said:

Jumping up this old topic.

I need another drive, which 6tb would you take?

Seagate barracuda 6tb is fine?

If you can, go for an IronWolf or WD Red/White drive. While a barracuda should work just fine with unRaid, the little cost to jump to the NAS level drives is well worth it, plus I believe the warranty is longer with the NAS ones. As was suggested earlier if you can't afford the difference in price, maybe go with a WD external 8 TB and shuck it. That is all I do when I need a new drive.

Edited by Chess
Spelling

ok i bought a new ssd and a wD external 6tb drive

the ssd is to replace my current cache drive (which contains addons)

whats the best thing to do now

mount the external drive

preclear it (how do i do that again)

then shuck the drive, and install it

then the ssd, how do i replace the current one without losing stuff

I know you'll gone blame me for posting YouTube links ... again, but I'll do it anyways 😝

SpaceInvader One has a great video regarding cache drives and one part is how to replace one cache drive with another. Actually his YouTube channel contains a lot of interesting unRAID videos.

Regarding the data drive, if you can shuck it very carefully without damaging the case it will be faster to preclear it internally than attached externally. But when not sure, attach it to a USB port and preclear it, if the disc is somehow DOA (hope not) then at least you know there's no need to shuck it.

Edited by Stiibun
  • Like 1
22 hours ago, skank said:

found it , its preclearing, thanks guys

When you shuck the drive from it's plastic prison, come back and post the model number from the drive. I suspect you'll get a white label drive, but watch out for the 3.3v pin issue. If you are using molex to SATA or a back-plane you should not notice it, but might encounter it if you use sata power directly from the power supply. Below is a link to fixing it, but there are lots of different options.

https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Fix-the-33V-Pin-Issue-in-White-Label-Disks-/

1/2 my drives are shucked WD white drives.

Edited by Chess
spelling
On 2/6/2020 at 3:38 PM, Chess said:

When you shuck the drive from it's plastic prison, come back and post the model number from the drive. I suspect you'll get a white label drive, but watch out for the 3.3v pin issue. If you are using molex to SATA or a back-plane you should not notice it, but might encounter it if you use sata power directly from the power supply. Below is a link to fixing it, but there are lots of different options.

https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Fix-the-33V-Pin-Issue-in-White-Label-Disks-/

1/2 my drives are shucked WD white drives.

Blue drive

WD60EZAZ

On 2/5/2020 at 3:44 PM, Stiibun said:

I know you'll gone blame me for posting YouTube links ... again, but I'll do it anyways 😝

SpaceInvader One has a great video regarding cache drives and one part is how to replace one cache drive with another. Actually his YouTube channel contains a lot of interesting unRAID videos.

Regarding the data drive, if you can shuck it very carefully without damaging the case it will be faster to preclear it internally than attached externally. But when not sure, attach it to a USB port and preclear it, if the disc is somehow DOA (hope not) then at least you know there's no need to shuck it.

i'm following this tutorial, however at 10:40 it says i need to go to settings

then community applications

i dont have that there!

however i do have that communiity applications plugin installed !

its also strange cause all my icons at settings wherre in color before, now it isnt anymore

1 hour ago, skank said:

i'm following this tutorial, however at 10:40 it says i need to go to settings

then community applications

i dont have that there!

however i do have that communiity applications plugin installed !

its also strange cause all my icons at settings wherre in color before, now it isnt anymore

Try the plugins tab or the User Utilities in Settings. I believe he was going into Backup/Restore Appdata at that point in the video. 

Edited by Chess
spelling
34 minutes ago, Chess said:

Try the plugins tab or the User Utilities in Settings. I believe he was going into Backup/Restore Appdata at that point in the video. 

He was going into backup/restore indeed. it was under settings>community applications

However, i dont have community applications under settings

nor is the backup/restore under user utilities in settings

nor is it in the plugins tab..

Thats one thing im running into

Second thing im running into is that now i have an extra array drive , i wanted to move stuff from my old cache

However after finishing the mover, the files are still on the cache, i dunno why, normally it just moves

Feb 12 16:09:02 Unraid root: mover: started

Feb 12 16:09:02 Unraid move: move: file /mnt/cache/Films/Terminator Dark Fate (2019).4K.Atmos/Terminator Dark Fate (2019).4K.Atmos.mkv

Feb 12 16:12:34 Unraid move: move_object: /mnt/cache/Films/Terminator Dark Fate (2019).4K.Atmos/Terminator Dark Fate (2019).4K.Atmos.mkv No space left on device 

Edited by skank
28 minutes ago, skank said:

He was going into backup/restore indeed. it was under settings>community applications

However, i dont have community applications under settings

nor is the backup/restore under user utilities in settings

nor is it in the plugins tab..

Thats one thing im running into

Second thing im running into is that now i have an extra array drive , i wanted to move stuff from my old cache

However after finishing the mover, the files are still on the cache, i dunno why, normally it just moves

Feb 12 16:09:02 Unraid root: mover: started

Feb 12 16:09:02 Unraid move: move: file /mnt/cache/Films/Terminator Dark Fate (2019).4K.Atmos/Terminator Dark Fate (2019).4K.Atmos.mkv

Feb 12 16:12:34 Unraid move: move_object: /mnt/cache/Films/Terminator Dark Fate (2019).4K.Atmos/Terminator Dark Fate (2019).4K.Atmos.mkv No space left on device 

Post diagnostics

1 hour ago, Chess said:

i found another plugin "CA Appdata Backup/Restore v2"

i think the video is outdated? and i should install that one