Clone Drive

kizer

In the past I would use Norton Ghost and make an image of my machine and when that machine had an issue I would just reload the image and I would be off.

Ok, that was heck 10years ago. I would like to clone my PC (XP), wifes laptop (XP) and my laptop (XP) and possibly a linux machine and store the clones on a unRAID setup.

Anybody have any recommendations?

Although not free, I've been using Acronis True-Image to do exactly what you describe.  I've backed up my wife's laptop the the server on the LAN, then replaced the hard disk with a larger one, then restored to the larger drive.  Other than a message from the Laptop's BIOS stating the disk had changed, it just booted up and worked as it always did.  A bare-metal restore... with everything intact.  I did not have to re-load any of the software packages...

+1 for Acronis True-Image. I have need using it for a couple of years to do partition imaging and partitioning imaging is the only thing I do with it. Have never tried any of the other features and have never tried to do an image of a running system. I just don't trust anything that claims to be able to image a running system. I just isn't natural. I have sucessfully restored partitions to new drives multiple times and often resized the partition in the process. Nearly all my systems have multiple bootable partitions and a boot menu. Sometimes Windows gets anoyed when partitions are moved arround or drive signatures change so sometimes you have to fix the boot process.

Anyway, with the current TI 2010 I used something called Mustang PE to create a Win 7 pre installation environment ISO image with TI installed on it. I then put the ISO on a USB stick with other ISOs and use MultiBootISO so that when I boot from the USB stick I get a menu to select the specific ISO I want to load and run. I have things like Memtest, vendor drive testing utilities, disk wipe tools, etc all on one handy USB stick.

One nice benefit running TI in Win PE is the hardware support. Also by mapping a network share to a drive letter the images can be saved to or read from a network drive.

Many of the great features of True-Image are supported by PiNG. Did I mention it's a free and built on top of Linux.

For those who haven't bothered to click on the link, here's their PR blurb:

----

PING is a live Linux ISO, based on the excellent Linux From Scratch (LFS) documentation. It can be burnt on a CD and booted, or integrated into a PXE / RIS environment.

Several tools have been added and written, so to make this ISO the perfect choice to backup and restore whole partitions, an easy way. It sounds like Symantec Ghost, but has even better features, and is totally free.

Features include:

* Probably the best available Linux toolbox for rescuing a system;

* Backup and Restore partitions or files locally or to the network (MS Network Shared directory, NFS, FTP or SSHFS);

* Backup and Restore the BIOS data as well;

* Either burn a bootable CD / DVD, either integrate within a PXE / RIS environment;

* Possibility to Blank local admin's password;

* Create your own restoration bootable DVD (see the Howto Documentation);

* Partition and Format a disk before installing Windows (so to make sure your unattended Windows installation will happen on the right partition);

* Specific advantages PING brings you over DOS and Ghost :

o Most network cards automatically recognized by the Kernel (unlike DOS);

o Most CD/DVD readers automatically recognized by the Kernel (unlike DOS);

o You don't have to run a Ghostcast server to receive images over the network;

o More supported filesystems;

o You can store an image on several CD/DVD (CD/DVD-spanning);

o You can backup and restore BIOS settings too;

o Much much smaller than WinPE / BartPE;

Thanks BRit and everybody else. I did check out Ping and honestly it was high on my gotta burn a copy and try list. I've seen Clonezilla in the past, but haven't tried it as of yet.

I think I might grab a few cds and try at least those two for starters. I have a spare Sata disk so I might try and clone my desktop in my office and then slap in my spare and see how well and how I can restore the image.

Add another one for Acronis although I have NO idea about the ping thing. (I'm sorry, did that come out sounding dirty or was that just the way it seemed in my head? Maybe I'm thinking of a ding-a-ling and not a ping-a-ling, just like in the Chuck Berry song...)      ;D

HOWEVER, for a total moron like me, Acronis IS the way to go as it's so simple, a caveman can do it.

I know 'cause I DID!

Also, you can run into from windows. No need to do any command line stuff and you can do much more.

It's also fast.

Another thing about the Acronis option is that they often have specials and if you're not in a hurry, hit me up

and I'll keep an eye out for their offers they sometimes send me and pass'em on to you.

Bitc*in' proggy!

Ghost is or at least was FINICKY compared to Acronis.

Also, IF you get acronis, again, let me know and I'll give you a couple of quick pointers I picked up from someone. Very helpful.

George