We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

(Solved) [6.4.0] No network overnight. Edit: lockups

michael123

Continued:

After reboot and mounting the array, started parity check. Noticed that ~180 MB/sec speed for 6.3.5 dropped to below 70 MB/sec in 6.4.0

But the system after 5 minutes locked up. Didn't see any lights of the working disks during parity process, and of course no network

Some kind of lock-up

Went back to 6.3.5 and re-run the parity check

So far so good

1 minute ago, michael123 said:

Strange that when I connected to IPMI port, the console image was not shown as well (?)

Known Issues

• Certain motherboards with on-board Aspeed IPMI graphics adaptors may lose video or switch to different colored text during the boot process. To prevent this, add the nomodeset kernel option to your syslinux append line.

Just now, johnnie.black said:

Known Issues

• Certain motherboards with on-board Aspeed IPMI graphics adaptors may lose video or switch to different colored text during the boot process. To prevent this, add the nomodeset kernel option to your syslinux append line.

Thanks, that will resolve the console issue on IPMI, but what's for lockups? Am I the only one here?

Just now, bonienl said:

Is it a lockup and both GUI and SSH are not working?

Did you try to start in safemode?

Not just GUI and SSH did not work, the parity process, which started after mounting due to the hard reboot, stuck after 5 min (!)

I did not try safemode

Besides the lockup, there is an obvious speed issue, could it be related to the recent cyber processor fixes?

Do I need them at all?

23 minutes ago, michael123 said:

Besides the lockup, there is an obvious speed issue

The usual cause of a speed issue is a bad or poor performing hard disk.

When starting in safemode we can exclude any plugin from being the culprit. E.g. NerdTools may install several (incompatible?) packages.

Ps. My last parity check on 6.4.0 did not show a decrease in speed.

I have a 'screen' from NerdTools, unlikely it will cause any issue (I used it merely when I did rsync to upgrade from reiser to xfs)

Parity speed as well as stability is now back to normal since I downgraded to 6.3.5

Due to lock-up, to me it seems like something related to this Spectre fix

Archived