How can I remove a failed drive from my array?

habibjp

Specs:

Parity: 2x2TB

Data: 5x2TB, 1x1.5TB

SATA Controller: IBM BR10i (8xSATA via 2xSAS)

Motherboard: AsRock ConRoe 1333-D667 R3.0

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 @3.16 GHz

RAM: 2x2GB DDR2

PSU: XFX TS 430

Flash: Lexar JumpDrive 8GB

I recently rebuilt my server in a new case. When it booted, two drives were missing. The molex-to-2xsata power adapter they were on had the 12v and 5v wires swapped, so I'm assuming they're fried?

One of the drives was parity, so I'll go without dual parity for now.

The other was half full, and I don't want to replace it as I don't need the space yet. I can't figure out how to move the (emulated) data to the other drives in the array - is there an easy way to do this?

Easy depends on your level of expertise. rsync at the command line is easy if you know the syntax, if you are a GUI only guy then the unbalance plugin should get you what you want. I would strongly recommend doing neither, instead I would copy the emulated disk to somewhere outside the unraid box, so the emulation only has to do reads instead of writes.

To access the individual drives using shares, you can enable disk shares in settings. Just be careful to NEVER copy from disk shares to user shares or vice versa until you understand why it can cause data loss.

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

I would strongly recommend doing neither, instead I would copy the emulated disk to somewhere outside the unraid box, so the emulation only has to do reads instead of writes.

I agree. After you have the data safe somewhere you would set a New Config without the disk and resync (rebuild) parity. Then you could copy the data back to the array.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, habibjp said:

I recently rebuilt my server in a new case. When it booted, two drives were missing. The molex-to-2xsata power adapter they were on had the 12v and 5v wires swapped, so I'm assuming they're fried?

Since you are also going to be lookiing fro some Molex-to-SATA adapters, I would suggest that you read this thread:

It will help you select some adapters that should not give problems in the future.  I assume that you are already off buying the cheapest thing out there.  

Edited by Frank1940
  • Like 1