Plugins/ Docker problems with update to 6.4.0 (solved)

Heciruam

20 minutes ago, trurl said:

Saving data in the array is a pretty normal thing to do in general, so I don't understand your question.

Well I want to completely reinstall Unraid since something is wrong and I can't fix it. Maybe I updated wrong which explains why I seem to be the only one here having this problem.

So I would just erase the boot drive, install the newest version (6.5.0 I believe.) and then I'm not sure if and how I can tell this new install to use the drives that already have data with parity, to not write over that.

Lastly install and confige all the dockers again.

Edited by Heciruam
15 hours ago, Heciruam said:

So I would just erase the boot drive, install the newest version (6.5.0 I believe.) and then I'm not sure if and how I can tell this new install to use the drives that already have data with parity, to not write over that.

This is no problem at all.  I have done this before when I messed up something in the configuration that was causing general issues that I spent too much time trying to resolve without success.  To keep your current disk configuration, just makes sure you copy at least your license file and the super.dat file from your flash drive config folder.  You can probably also keep your shares folder, network.cfg, ident.cfg, etc. as well.  Look through the Config folder on your flash drive and note what you may wish to keep and back that up before reformatting the flash drive.

If you save super.dat you don't have to do a new config.  Regardless, if you don't have a DISK_ASSIGNMENTS.txt file (copy it if you have it) in your Config folder, make sure you take a screen capture of your current disk assignments with the disk number and serial number.  This will ensure that if you do decide to do a new config, you can replicate the current disk assignments and not accidentally mess up on the parity disk(s) assignment.

You don't want to keep the plugins folder, docker.cfg, etc.if you think this is where the problem(s) is and just want to start over with these.

You will also want to delete everything in the appdata folder assuming that is where you store your docker apps.

Reformat your flash drive, reinstall unRAID and copy back onto the flash drive Config folder your license key, super.dat and other configs you decided to keep.

Your data + parity will be preserved whether or not you keep the current super.dat or decide to do a new config.  Just don't reformat any drives.

Edited by Hoopster
  • Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

So how do I go at this? I simply saved the usb flash drive data.

Now I just wipe that clean. Then prepare the usb stick as if I was installing a fresh 6.5.0 and go for a trial version. Then Power down and replace the license and the super.dat file?

I saw on the forums that other people had trouble using the same USB drive. Do I need to buy another one first?

Edit: 

I am asking this now becuase I can't reach or ping the server right now. So I believe now must be the time to do the reinstall.

Edited by Heciruam
  • Heciruam changed the title to Plugins/ Docker problems with update to 6.4.0 (solved)
9 hours ago, Heciruam said:

I saw on the forums that other people had trouble using the same USB drive. Do I need to buy another one first?

You may have already figured this out, but, your license is tied to your current flash drive.  If you buy another one, you would have to have limetech transfer the license to that flash drive.

It sounds like you figured out how to proceed.  Post if you have issues in the process and good luck.

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...

Had a similar issue and wanted to describe what happened in case some other poor soul ever gets into my situation.
Power outage crashed server and corrupted docker.img (followed instructions to delete and recreate img found in this and other threads). 

After resolving that and trying to restore all my containers I kept getting 

"Unable to find image '*container name*' locally"

My issue is that I had a Pi-hole container setup previously so the router was trying to send DNS to a nonexistant Pi-Hole container. Simply setup DNS to google's (8.8.8.8) temporarily and that resolved the issue. Reinstalled the Pi-hole container and then setup router's DNS back to the Pi-hole IP and everything else was back in business.

9 hours ago, dannyo13 said:

Had a similar issue and wanted to describe what happened in case some other poor soul ever gets into my situation.
Power outage crashed server and corrupted docker.img (followed instructions to delete and recreate img found in this and other threads). 

After resolving that and trying to restore all my containers I kept getting 

"Unable to find image '*container name*' locally"

My issue is that I had a Pi-hole container setup previously so the router was trying to send DNS to a nonexistant Pi-Hole container. Simply setup DNS to google's (8.8.8.8) temporarily and that resolved the issue. Reinstalled the Pi-hole container and then setup router's DNS back to the Pi-hole IP and everything else was back in business.

To further add on to a necro post, in your router you should definitely have a secondary DNS address pointing to something other than piHole.  If only the primary is present and pointed to the container, then if you stop your server effectively you have no internet access on any device using the router's DNS addresses.

Furthermore, within unRaid's Network settings you should not have it pointed at piHole.  Rather you should have it pointed to the OpenDNS / Google's DNS.  There are zero ads within unRaid, and using piHole for unRaid complicates things a ton more.