How to use all cores on one VM?

Darth Iratus

I'm planning for a new build with a 7900x or a 7820x, rog rampage vi extreme, and dual 1070s or dual 1080ti s. In the post about linus's 2 gamers 1 cpu build, it said that we could direct all the cores of the cpu to one VM if only one person is using it at a time. I would like to know how this would be done. I would also like to know I could go back to running the pc normally without unraid and if we can use both the GPUs with the same VM if the other VM is not being used.

42 minutes ago, Darth Iratus said:

I could go back to running the pc normally without unraid

If you mean booting into Windows or some OS other than unRAID, you absolutely must not allow another OS to access any unRAID storage. unRAID is a NAS with VMs and dockers. I don't know if you were aware of the NAS part if all you know is from that linus video.

You should only access the NAS storage while unRAID is booted.

3 minutes ago, Darth Iratus said:

In that case, can I just switch between unRAID and windows by just uplugging and plugging in the USB stick and the SSD

You don't even have to unplug anything, and unplugging probably wouldn't be enough anyway. You have to tell the BIOS which device to boot from.

When you create the VM, you can click on which cores (threads) to assign to that VM. It is advised to leave one core for unRAID. The remaining can be split among the VMs.

If you have hyperthreaded cores, make sure to assign both threads of each core to the same VM (and both of the threads of core0 unassigned to any VM).

The VMmanager GUI makes it easy to see what two threads are on the same core.

1 minute ago, SSD said:

When you create the VM, you can click on which cores (threads) to assign to that VM. It is advised to leave one core for unRAID. The remaining can be split among the VMs.

If you have hyperthreaded cores, make sure to assign both threads of each core to the same VM (and both of the threads of core0 unassigned to any VM).

The VMmanager GUI makes it easy to see what two threads are on the same core.

okay, but how do you give all the cores to the same VM if only one is running but split it up when others are running?

1 hour ago, Darth Iratus said:

okay, but how do you give all the cores to the same VM if only one is running but split it up when others are running?

You can have 2 different VM profiles that both point to the same VM image file for one of your VMs. You would run one at a time, not both.

On 3/3/2018 at 7:12 PM, trurl said:

You don't even have to unplug anything, and unplugging probably wouldn't be enough anyway. You have to tell the BIOS which device to boot from.

Okay, Let's say I don't want to use any VM's anymore and Won't us unRAID on that PC again. can I format the drives that were connected with unRAID and then connect them to windows as I generally would?

1 hour ago, Darth Iratus said:

Okay, Let's say I don't want to use any VM's anymore and Won't us unRAID on that PC again. can I format the drives that were connected with unRAID and then connect them to windows as I generally would?

Sure. Unraid doesn't do anything physically to the disks, it just partitions and formats them in a specific way. They are directly readable by linux distributions, but not windows.

Archived