Slow Read Speeds for Unraid

Hello,  I recently started out unraid and have some issues with my speed.

My old NAS was basically a windows computer with share drives.  The speed I was getting was ~ 90-120MB/s Reads and ~80-90MB/s Writes.

I understand writes will be slower due to parity and such.  I did some searching and got my write speeds up to 40-60MB/s on Unraid. 

To do this I added the turbo write plugin and added max protocol = SMB2_02 to SMB settings.  NCQ is also enabled.

My read speeds on Unraid are ~50-60MB/s. 

I will add a cache disk in the future, hopefully that will give better write speeds as well.

Everything is wired (no wifi).

My main question is how to I increase my read speeds?

An additional question is I did not use preclear when I set up unraid.  Will that be an issue?  I have copied pretty much everythign on Unraid right now (only ~2TB big though).  

Also if you know other things I can do to increase write speeds, that would be helpful (other than adding a cache drive).

ASUS P5GC-MX/1333
Intel E2180
PCI-E H200 PERC
4GB RAM
PCI Gigabit NIC TG-3269

HDD:
2 x 4tb WD RED (one is the parity) - connected to PERC
2 x 2tb drives (seagate/WD) - connected to Mobo

hdparm -tT tests show
All drives show about ~1000MB/s Timing cached reads
PERC drives at
Buffered disk reads:~165MB/s
Mobo drives at
Buffered disk reads:~ 115MB/s

Thanks in advance

diagnostics.zip

Edited by johnnyfive

It is worth pointing out that you cannot get read speeds much above 100 MB/s as at that speed you are saturating your LAN.   There are those who have gone to 10Gb Ethernet to up speeds but that is a significant hardware investment and can take a bit of filddling to get your network set up correctly to exploit such hardware.

8 hours ago, nuhll said:

Cache will only speed up if the files u transfer are at cache or go to cache.

Anyway, i never changed anything and get around 50-60mb/s (im currently at rebuild parity, so this could affect this speed) read from array. To (and from) cache 100-150 mb/s also.

Why you need fast read speeds?

I would like fast read speeds if I'm transferring files and such off the drive for various purposes.  I'm going to test going to windows 7 on my unraid set-up and trying a transfer to see if it's hardware or a software issue.  

I will most likely upgrade my cpu to a e8400 in the near future.

46 minutes ago, nuhll said:

Yea, i also testet again after parity was finished... 100-130mb/s.

How often you transfer files? Or are you okay with 80-90mb? 

But jsut to tell you, the 120mb/s are without any changes from normal unraid (as far as i know). (not that you ruined the speed by some steps u changed?)

I would love 80-90MB/s.  My tests for this speed was when I changed my Unraid box to a windows 7 OS.  (I unplugged my usb drive (unraid) and put in another HDD with windows 7 in it to see if it was a hardware issue and it seems those would be my 'maximum speeds' with this system build).

When I am using Unraid, I am still getting 40-60MB/s.  40 when transferring using Krusader and ~55MB/s when using windows to transfer.

parity has been finished during these speed tests, so that is not a factor.

Edited by johnnyfive

Just to be sure, youre not transfering files from usb? Just unraid runs on usb? Connectet to hdds via sata 3?

Seems pretty slow for me, even on windows 7. What hdds are u using?

Edit, okay i reread the first post.

Try connectiong all drives to your mobo, i heared somewhere that normal controllers could make trouble. Normal you want a HBA card (cheaper and you can connect more drives)

Edited by nuhll
7 hours ago, nuhll said:

Just to be sure, youre not transfering files from usb? Just unraid runs on usb? Connectet to hdds via sata 3?

Seems pretty slow for me, even on windows 7. What hdds are u using?

Edit, okay i reread the first post.

Try connectiong all drives to your mobo, i heared somewhere that normal controllers could make trouble. Normal you want a HBA card (cheaper and you can connect more drives)

Nope just tried and created a share  to include only the HDD attached to the mobo and exclude the ones connected to the PERC card and the speeds were the same

18 hours ago, Benson said:

Havent check diagnostics, you have TG-3269 PCI card, does windows and unRAID test use same NIC, for PCI NIC sure it cant reach 100MB/s. (50~60MB/s would be normal)

A traditional PCI slot was limited to 133 MB/s raw transfer rate (33 MHz * 32-bit) minus the overhead. So quite close to the maximum bandwidth of a 1Gbit/s network card.

But lots of newer PCI slots are 67 MHz instead of 33 MHz so they have a theoretical bandwidth of 267 MB/s - quite close to the maximum bandwidth of a dual-port gbit NIC.

• 9 months later...
  • 9 months later...

10gb sfp cards are pretty cheap now, a set of intel will cost around $100, best check on ebay for a more update price.

they will get you more than enough transfer speeds and easy to set up. 

you can increase your speed on your windows machine with Jumbo Packet sizes, increase to max

and also your transmit and receive buffers, increase them to max

and on the bsd machine, your unraid, try the mtu to a higher number