We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

40TB worth of WD EARS for only $2200!

Rajahal

If it was something like $80 per HDD, then we could all band together, buy a pack and split it up.

When you factor in the shipping, you pretty much just break even with the current range of single drive prices.

It would have to be something much lower then $80 unless people were close geographically.

it's surprisingly hard to find a cost effective source of jumpers if you don't have old computers lying around.  not many people sell them, and they usually come in a large parts kit.  our local recycling center takes electronics, including computers.  They were more than happy to let me scavenge the older ones.  :)

it's surprisingly hard to find a cost effective source of jumpers if you don't have old computers lying around.  not many people sell them, and they usually come in a large parts kit.  our local recycling center takes electronics, including computers.  They were more than happy to let me scavenge the older ones.  :)

Check out cyberguys. I remember buying small bags of jumpers a while back.

I have draws of them.

Check out cyberguys. I remember buying small bags of jumpers a while back.

I have draws of them.

Just checked cyberguys, since I'm down to my last jumper.  While the price is good ($1.19 for a 24 pack), they wanted to charge me $9 for shipping!  I'll find someone in town who can sell me some cheaper than that, I'm sure.

The link works.  I just can't understand how they can charge so much to ship these things.  Even a 100 pack would weigh less than a pound and would fit in a standard padded envelope.  Hell, even a regular envelope would work, these things aren't fragile.

The link works.  I just can't understand how they can charge so much to ship these things.  Even a 100 pack would weigh less than a pound and would fit in a standard padded envelope.  Hell, even a regular envelope would work, these things aren't fragile.

Psychology.

Lots of people do not take into account S&H, Taxes, any other added costs when they purchase. Therefore many sellers pad "hidden" profit into the S&H.

Consider Seller A with Product 1 lists it as 19.99 and has shipping at 7

Seller B with Product 1 lists it as 23.00 and has shipping at 2

First off, sorting by price usually shows Seller A as "lower" price and the psychology difference between 19.99 and 20.00 is worth more tha 1 cent.

A lot of people give no/little thought to the true "bottom-line" price.

Lots of people do not take into account S&H, Taxes, any other added costs when they purchase. Therefore many sellers pad "hidden" profit into the S&H.

The method of shipping accounts for allot of the price too.

USPS Priority or UPS ground is going to cost when it goes across country.

I know Cyberguys use USPS Priority and over the last few years that has gone up quite a bit when going across country.

Psychology.

Consider Seller A with Product 1 lists it as 19.99 and has shipping at 7

Seller B with Product 1 lists it as 23.00 and has shipping at 2

First off, sorting by price usually shows Seller A as "lower" price and the psychology difference between 19.99 and 20.00 is worth more tha 1 cent.

A lot of people give no/little thought to the true "bottom-line" price.

I understand the concept (I study psych), but I just don't see how so many people fall for it.  Whenever I see a price that is $19.99 (or anything.99) I mentally round it up to $20.  I just seems simpler to me.  When shopping around for something, I always take the final price including shipping, tax, etc. before making a decision.  This is one reason why I always prefer shopping at Newegg as opposed to TigerDirect or anywhere else - Newegg will either have free shipping or they will clearly state the flat shipping rate on the product's page.  You don't have to go through the whole deal of adding it to your cart, entering your zip code, and calculating the shipping costs.  Sometimes they still end up being more expensive, but I'll always start my search there.

People are just dumb and lazy, I guess.

True. I do ALOT of my shopping with newegg although I used to do TigersDirect a lot also.

I rarely end up buying from TigersDirect ever since I moved to NC because now I end up getting charged tax also.

To be honest, I really don't care much what the "price" is, or what S&H or other costs are. I'm like you, deal with the true bottom-line cost and base decisions from there.

Could care less if the item costs me $1 plus 9$ S&H or $10 with free shipping, all the same to me.

Whenever I see a price that is $19.99 (or anything.99) I mentally round it up to $20.

The thing is, the majority of people mentally round that to 19.

(like $29.95 is twenty-something, rather than thirty)

I round up also.

Then check tax and shipping.

BTW, can you make a guess about what percentage of people will chose the $5 off deal on a $100 item,

over a 10% off deal on the same $100 item?  (Sadly, I am not kidding.)

The first choice, five bucks they understand.  The second choice is something with percentages!

Have you tried interviewing random people with "What's 20% of $200?" ?  You'll be amazed!

I usually do it in my head then test it with the calculator.

Sometimes you gotta weigh the options.  I'm not going to justify $6 shipping for something that could be shipped in a padded package but the way I look at it is....If I bought a 24 pack and had it shipped even at a fairly cheap price I'd be looking at $6 or so maybe? I'd use a couple, give some to people (and who really just gives one of them?), more often then not lose some (they're so damn tiny!) by the time I'd need another one I realize I'm all out.  Then you have to go order another pack of 24 at $6 again where I could just get 100 at $9, give more away and lose more and still be ahead  ;D  And I TRY to be careful but when you have a curious dog and a kid who wants to play with everything she finds it's hard not to come up short on occations. 

Back towards the original topic... It should also be kept in mind that buying sets of discs can present problems of it's own down the road.

As anyone who has used a traditional Raid in the past, or even done a decent amount of research on it, will know identical drives with identical usage patterns tend to have nearly identical lifespans. Meaning that failure times will often be closely timed. That is one of the big faults with traditional Raid that gets overlooked far to often IMO, and IIRC one of the selling points for unRaid.

So, even though unRaid does a good job of reducing the risk of using many identical drives (not just in model #), not everyone here will necessarily be looking at drives for use in unRaid...

Archived