(6.5.1) No access to GUI/Telnet/SSH

MrLeek

Been doing the final tweaks to my new server build....and I've turned off telnet in the GUI. I've then set the dynamically assigned address to be static in the GUI - and that's where things have gone astray. No access to the GUI via it's IP address or using tower.local. SSH times out. Telenet times out. Pings don't get answered.

The array is stopped - done before I started making some final adjustments to build (so that's one good piece of news). So in theory I could power down, attach a video cable/keyboard and reboot it into GUI mode. But not sure if there's other things to try first.

Edit: Almost certain I've done a derp by trying to statically configure the IP address it was using (10.0.1.4) - and this address worked when it was assigned dynamically....but arp -a from my iMac suggests that an Amazon device (Kindle more than likely) seems to be now linked to 10.0.1.4

Most of the consumer-type routers assign IP addresses from the bottom of the range and work up the range.  One very old trick for assigning static IP addresses to only assign them at the top of the range-- say from 10.0.1.240 through 10.0.1.253 (in your case).  Of course, you will have to keep records of the assignments to assure that you don't assign the same address to two different devices...

Thanks both. The problem was indeed linked to that IP address allocation - something triggered the DHCP server to reallocate the IP address dynamically whilst I was trying to configure it to be a static address on the server. The result was a slight paradox! :) 

Forced power down then reboot with keyboard/monitor connected and it started right back up....and promptly obtained the IP address that it was configured to have. I've now issued the same IP in the router and all seems to be well.

Archived