USB 3.0 to HDMI Video adapter

Stealthrt

Hey all I am just thinking out loud here.

I have a car project that I am deciding wither to use a core i5 NUC with USB 3.0's and allow that to power my front LCD (10.1" touch) and the 2 back monitors (also 10.1" touch). Problem being with this setup is that I do not know if UNRAID can do a USB pass-through with the graphics so that I can make 2 Windows 10 VMs for the back 2 LCDs while running the main windows 10 on my front LCD.

So it would look something like this:

Front LCD Unraid Windows 10 Local Intel Graphics |--> Windows 10 (USB 3.0 to HDMI Video) via HDMI cable--> Back seat LCD 1
                                                                                           |--> Windows 10 (USB 3.0 to HDMI Video) via HDMI cable--> Back seat LCD 2

If this is not possible then it looks like I will need to purchase a Intel Compute Stick for each of the back LCDs in order to do something like that above.

Any input would be great (especially if you've done something like the above already before) :)

USB32HDES_main.jpg

screenshot.75.jpg

2 hours ago, Squid said:

There's no problem with drivers as the usb-hdmi is passed through to the windows VM. The only "gotcha" is that you have to set up the VM via VNC because windows won't load the drivers until after its set up

Would you be able to explain how I do that?

32 minutes ago, Squid said:

No different than if you don't (which you don't) have a video card passed through to the VM

I’ve never setup something like that via VNC. Only booted from the bios to install anything.

Besides that I can’t even get the usb to be bootable (I’ve used both the .bat file and the usb maker GUI) and I’ve tried 3 different company usb thumb drives.

Just now, Stealthrt said:

Besides that I can’t even get the usb to be bootable (I’ve used both the .bat file and the usb maker GUI) and I’ve tried 3 different company usb thumb drives

Then your question and and title of the thread is way off base, and you need to first address this before you even consider a VM

I am totally curious about the premise of your project.

Your goal is to have 3 separate Win machines running in your car? Would each one then get their own keyboard and mouse? 

What is the goal in having 3 pc’s running in a car? User’s working on spreadsheets? Or watching media stored in server? If watching media, why not just get 3 tablets, and preload media prior to the trip?

h.

It cost more for that so I bought just 10.1” touch screens for the back and custom 10.1” in the front console. Instead of 3 different computers I can use my already-have NUC i5 as the only computer needed in the car. 

The monitors in the back will allow the kids to watch whatever movie they choose by the touch screen and also they have a game pad for each lcd so they can choose what nes/snes game they want to play again from the touch screen. 

The monitor in the front will allow me to play the HD radio and load my own navigation software. I also have an arduino connected to the car in order to turn on/off the dual 4.3” rear view mirrors’ lcds to show left or right video when the blinker is on. 

And there are more stuff but ill stop there.

Archived