Does this drive need to be replaced?

Koshy

46 minutes ago, Koshy said:

but it says SMART overall health : passed

https://i.imgur.com/345t0xD.png

SMART overall health is mostly meaningless, only changes if there's a SMART failing now attribute.

SMART Extended Self-test Log Version: 1 (1 sectors)
Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining  LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error
# 1  Extended offline    Completed: read failure       50%     13382         3909822792

9 hours ago, Koshy said:

What S.M.A.R.T error should I report when make an RMA request

Just do whatever it takes to get an RMA for the drive.  (I won't bother with reporting a specific SMART failure.)   The few drives that I have had to RMA over the years, the replacement drive has always shipped the same day as the drive was received.  (Knowing how Receiving Docks work, this is too short a time to do anything but log the shipment's receipt.)  They will  run an assessment of the drive at some point in the future.  However, they know that they will get a percentage of drives back that will be good.  They also realize that deciding to RMA a drive is not a causal decision on the part of the customer.  (In fact, he is probably already pissed!)  So, in the interest of good customer relations, they accept it as a cost of doing business and chalk the expense up to 'Good Customer Relations'.  

Archived