(Solved) No access to unraid via GUI or SSH

russlock

All of a sudden I cannot access the web interface on an existing setup  by going to the local ip address or even http://server which I normally use. Cant access via putty as it says network error, connection refused.

I can still access plex which is on the server so I know it is running, I just cant get to the web interface.

I even pinged the ip address from my router as well as the external address and all works fine with no packet loss.

took the drastic action of holding down to on/off switch on server to shut it down (I know it will do a parity check now). rebooted and can still use plex, but can still not access any web interface or putty access.

any ideas anyone and thanks in advance.

Connect up a monitor and keyboard.  Login into the console.   Type   diagnostics  at the command line prompt.   That will write the diagnostics file to the   logs   directory/folder on your flash drive.  Upload the entire file with your next post. 

EDIT:  what do you mean by this?    

1 hour ago, russlock said:

I even pinged the ip address from my router as well as the external address and all works fine with no packet loss.

1 hour ago, Frank1940 said:

EDIT:  what do you mean by this?    

I pinged the internal ip address of the server from the router and there was no packet loss, then I pinged the plex ip address to make sure I could get on that and that again had no packet loss.

1 hour ago, Frank1940 said:

Connect up a monitor and keyboard.  Login into the console.   Type   diagnostics  at the command line prompt.   That will write the diagnostics file to the   logs   directory/folder on your flash drive.  Upload the entire file with your next post. 

It won’t let me log in as says wrong. Username or password even though I know it’s root and my password 

Double check that your keyboard has the 'Num Luck' on and the 'CapsLock' off.  It would be best if you could get that diagnostics file before you have to force a reboot/powerdown. 

As I recall, Plex can be a resource hog and that might be a part of the problem.  How much RAM does your server have?  

ok, starting to get somewhere. got rid of the password by deleting the 3 files from usb. booted into gui, noticed only one of my disks were showing out of three plus parity. (not looking good). rebooted, now all disks except one is showing and I can now access via ip address. stopped array, assigned the disk that was missing (I knew which one went where) and rebooted again and is now doing  a parity check. (might have to re-do all the permissions as I cant seem to amend some files in my own folder as it says I do not have permission)

slowly getting there and I have now attached the diagnostics to see what the trouble was.

I have a feeling as we have a power cut the other night it might have something to do with that ??

server-diagnostics-20180729-1533.zip

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 6:10 PM, Frank1940 said:

Power cuts are never good.  That is the reason that unRAID has had UPS cooked in for many, many versions now.  You should really be looking to get one...

got it running now, eventually. will need to look at a UPS. Any suggestions ? and many thanks for your help.

• russlock changed the title to (Solved) No access to unraid via GUI or SSH

Look at my signature for two manufacturers that a lot of folks have had good luck with.  Some folks say that you should only use pure sine-wave units but I feel that approximate sine-wave units will also work as long as you don't run on that type of voltage very long.  (Both of my server start their shutdown after 30 seconds on battery.  In my area, if it is out for that long, it will be out far longer than any consumer-type UPS battery will ever last.) 

7 minutes ago, russlock said:

Not sure I can see where your signature is :(

Go to the upper right corner of this page.  Click on the dropdown  box by your login name, click on Account Settings, click on Signature in the left panel, Slide the the View Signature? to the right to turn on signatures.   

5 minutes ago, russlock said:

Not sure I can see where your signature is :(

You must not have signatures enabled.  Click on your username/icon in the upper right of the forum then Account Settings>Signature>View Signatures.

I use an APC Back-UPS pro BR1000MS with my main unRAID server.  It works quite nicely.  It has pure sine wave and AVR support which are recommended, but, not absolute necessities. 

Before that, i used an older APC unit that lacked both features, yet worked just fine with my unRAID server during a couple of power outages and with frequent power surges/brownouts where I was living at the time.

Many CyberPower units offer similar features at a slightly lower price compared to APC.  Both seem to be supported without issue by the unRAID UPS integration.

Archived