Unmountable: Unsupported partition layout

HamboneAZ

I just moved my system from a desktop computer into a SuperMicro 24 bay case I got  used. 

The case came with 3 cards as well.

Adaptec ASR 5405

IBM RAIDServer M1015

HP 36 port SAS Expander

First I tried connecting the Expander into the Adaptec, but UnRaid could not see any of the disks.

Not sure if this matters, but trying to be thorough. 

So then I tried the IBM card and UnRaid was able to see all the disks and started the array.

The problem is that two of my disks are now displaying "Unmountable: Unsupported partition layout".

288115572_ScreenShot08-21-18at04_34PM.thumb.PNG.01007c21653b8be5c1a8a5faa3d10452.PNG

Both of the disks were completely full, so I am really trying to find a way to recover the 8TB of missing data.

I tried to mount the disks from Unattached Devices, but it was unable to mount as well.

Please advise what I can try to get these fixed.

Thank you in advance for your help.

server-syslog-20180821-1708.zip

7 minutes ago, HamboneAZ said:

Please advise what I can try to get these fixed.

Thank you in advance for your help. 

Have you see the thread below?  Before reading the whole thing, go to the last post where the OP explained it turned out to be a hardware issue that caused his problem.  Drives attached to MB SATA ports mounted without issue.  You may want to check your hardware compatibility and connections and read this thread.

First off, thank you. 

When connecting directly to SATA, the drives mounted no problem.

I can breath again, thank you.

But now I have another question.

I added two brand new disks to the same slots I removed the old ones from and they added to array and started pre-clear right away.

Does this mean they will be OK?

Do you think only the old disks were impacted by the hardware change?

Can I just copy the data from the old disks to the new once clear is complete and then re-add and format the old disks back into the array?

45 minutes ago, HamboneAZ said:

So then I tried the IBM card and UnRaid was able to see all the disks and started the array.

Do you know if the IBM M1015 has been flashed to IT mode?  The default/RAID mode is not recommended with unRAID arrays but the card functions well with unRAID when flashed to IT mode.

4 minutes ago, HamboneAZ said:

I am unsure, how could I check this? Do you have a link to a guide?

Maybe a little googling will reveal a way to check if the card is in IT mode.  I am really not familiar with this HBA card. I just know IT mode is much preferred in unRAID.

Here is a guide to flashing in IT mode.  Be sure to do IT mode and not IR mode.

https://www.servethehome.com/ibm-serveraid-m1015-part-4/

43 minutes ago, HamboneAZ said:

But now I have another question.

I added two brand new disks to the same slots I removed the old ones from and they added to array and started pre-clear right away.

Does this mean they will be OK?

This looks promising.  While the drives are being cleared, do a little research on the card and IT mode.  i would make sure it is in IT mode before formatting and adding the drives to the array.

44 minutes ago, HamboneAZ said:

Do you think only the old disks were impacted by the hardware change?

It's very possible since they functioned fine before the change and it appears the issues are related to how the drives are attached.

45 minutes ago, HamboneAZ said:

Can I just copy the data from the old disks to the new once clear is complete and then re-add and format the old disks back into the array?

This should work, but, again, verify IT mode on the card before proceeding with the rest of this (after the preclear).

Clear is still running, but I have been doing a bunch of googling.

I think this indicates the card is in IT mode, can anyone confirm?

Aug 21 17:36:40 SERVER kernel: mpt2sas_cm0: LSISAS2008: FWVersion(19.00.00.00), ChipRevision(0x02), BiosVersion(00.00.00.00)
Aug 21 17:36:40 SERVER kernel: mpt2sas_cm0: Protocol=(
Aug 21 17:36:40 SERVER kernel: Initiator
Aug 21 17:36:40 SERVER kernel: ,Target

Yes, it has been cross-flashed to the LSI IT firmware and without the BIOS option. Here's mine (it's actually a Dell Perc H310, but has the same chipset) - I have the BIOS installed:

Jul 28 23:52:53 Lapulapu kernel: mpt2sas_cm0: LSISAS2008: FWVersion(20.00.07.00), ChipRevision(0x03), BiosVersion(07.39.02.00)
Jul 28 23:52:53 Lapulapu kernel: mpt2sas_cm0: Protocol=(
Jul 28 23:52:53 Lapulapu kernel: Initiator
Jul 28 23:52:53 Lapulapu kernel: ,Target
Jul 28 23:52:53 Lapulapu kernel: ), 

You don't need the BIOS. The system will boot quicker without it. But if you have it you can enter the BIOS and see the attached disks. It's useful for troubleshooting but as there are no RAID options to configure in IT mode that's pretty much all you can do with it. It's much more useful/essential in IR mode.

I don't think the firmware version makes much difference. Mine is the last version available. I seem to remember that 20.00.00.00 was broken but 19.00.00.00, that you have, is fine. You might want to leave things just as they are if it's working well - I would.

Archived