New setup parity sync

Glenn

I decided to create a build with some old hardware lying around. Setup is as follows: 

asus p8z68 deluxe with an i5 2500k. 16 gigs of ram....even though unraid only shows 8???

Parity drive: WD Purple 8tb

Array: 1 WD Purple 8tb, 2 WD black 6tb

Cache: 2 samsung evo 860 500gb ssd

I managed to load everything and start my array. Initially the parity sync time estimated like 16 hours. I am aware that during the sync any data on the array would not be protected, but I went ahead and started to transfer about 150gb of pictures to my "Pictures" share. At this time parity sync was at 3%. Went to bed and checked the progress before heading to work. It then stated that the parity sync was only at 5% and estimated 100 DAYS. ummmm i dont think something is right???? Any advice on what to look for when I get home and where to start? Other than creating shares i installed the CA and the dynamix plugins recommended in the video by gridrunner. 

You aren't going to get very good performance syncing parity or good performance writing 150GB if you are trying to do both at the same time. Syncing parity requires reading all disks, calculating and writing parity. Writing 150GB to array requires reading data disk to be written and reading corresponding parity, calculating parity change that results from data write, and writing data and corresponding parity. Doing parity sync and writing a large volume of data simultaneously will do all this, and of course they won't be working at the same sectors, so in addition to all that it will be doing a lot of seeking.

I would advise slowing down and not trying to do everything at once. That includes not installing a lot of addons all at once. You need to learn as you go, and it's best if you only have one thing to troubleshoot at a time.

Some people recommend not adding a parity drive until you have done the initial data load. That will make writing a lot faster since parity is not involved. And if you are just copying data you already have somewhere else, parity isn't as important to prevent data loss. In any case, you should always keep backups of important and irreplaceable data. Parity isn't a substitute for backups.

I haven't looked up all of your "old" hardware to see how suitable it is, but I will say that it is very important to only use reliable disks in the array. In order to reliably recover all the data from a failed disk, every bit of every other disk must be reliably read.

43 minutes ago, Glenn said:

it is in ahci

No, it isn't:

00:1f.2 IDE interface [0101]: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family Desktop SATA Controller (IDE mode, ports 0-3) [8086:1c00] (rev 05)
    Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family Desktop SATA Controller (IDE mode, ports 0-3) [1043:844d]
    Kernel driver in use: ata_piix
    Kernel modules: ata_piix

00:1f.5 IDE interface [0101]: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family Desktop SATA Controller (IDE mode, ports 4-5) [8086:1c08] (rev 05)
    Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family Desktop SATA Controller (IDE mode, ports 4-5) [1043:844d]
    Kernel driver in use: ata_piix
    Kernel modules: ata_piix

13 hours ago, Glenn said:

I decided to create a build with some old hardware lying around.

7 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

There are read errors on disk3, since it's failing:

197 Current_Pending_Sector  -O--CK   171   100   000    -    3554

13 hours ago, trurl said:

it is very important to only use reliable disks in the array. In order to reliably recover all the data from a failed disk, every bit of every other disk must be reliably read.

system/lspci.txt, instead of how it is currently it should look similar to this:

00:1f.2 SATA controller [0106]: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family 6 port Desktop SATA AHCI Controller [8086:1c02] (rev 05)
    Subsystem: Super Micro Computer Inc 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family 6 port Desktop SATA AHCI Controller [15d9:0624]
    Kernel driver in use: ahci
    Kernel modules: ahci

did you look at the last diag report i posted? 

it says : 00:1f.2 SATA controller [0106]: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family 6 port Desktop SATA AHCI Controller [8086:1c02] (rev 05)
    Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. P8 series motherboard [1043:844d]
    Kernel driver in use: ahci
    Kernel modules: ahci

is that not right?

Archived