azzilla

WD Red 8tb running warm

9 posts in this topic Last Reply

I just upgraded my parity drive from a generic seagate 6tb to a WD red 8tb and the temperature logged is around 15-20 degrees warmer than all the other drives. At the parity write it maxed out at around 55 degrees celsius. Now it is at 51 degrees.

Is this really normal?

warmtempred.JPG

15 minutes ago, azzilla said:

I just upgraded my parity drive from a generic seagate 6tb to a WD red 8tb and the temperature logged is around 15-20 degrees warmer than all the other drives. At the parity write it maxed out at around 55 degrees celsius. Now it is at 51 degrees.

Is this really normal?

warmtempred.JPG

I know that my WD drives run a little warmer maybe 1 or 2 degrees than my Seagates but looking at your picture, I think you need to invest in more fans . 

You need to keep the temps down to below 40 on the drives or else you are risking eary hard drive failures. Just my opinion but I think others will agree.

• Like 1

If it's the new non helium model it will run warmer, but still just means you need better cooling.

• Like 1

I know that my WD drives run a little warmer maybe 1 or 2 degrees than my Seagates but looking at your picture, I think you need to invest in more fans . 

You need to keep the temps down to below 40 on the drives or else you are risking eary hard drive failures. Just my opinion but I think others will agree.

I know that my fan solution could improve overall. It’s just that the temperature varies so much. I have three 120mm fans in my Silverstone DS380 and I have never had temperatures over 35 degrees when idle.

Not really concerned about life span at the moment as I am migrating the internals to a rack mount case soon. Then I can shove more fans in there and hopefully thermals will be better overall.

If it's the new non helium model it will run warmer, but still just means you need better cooling.

Could be the new model. Will check on that when I get home. Thanks

It's easy to spot:

Helium / Air

imagem.png.46c0e6084d99aaf1e2e26190ce63ba90.pngimagem.thumb.png.a30e66d386e449ef78078c748ee62ccc.pngimageproxy.php?img=&key=00b562fcac28e7276d3fb7876ace0f5eef200a4d9770c2ae33e154b3b37fa5cdimageproxy.php?img=&key=00b562fcac28e7276d3fb7876ace0f5eef200a4d9770c2ae33e154b3b37fa5cd

Then it’s definitely air :/
Are they worse in quality or something? Or is it just the cooling situation that’s been changed?

32 minutes ago, azzilla said:

Are they worse in quality or something?

They are faster, since they use higher density platters, but also run hotter and use a little more power because of the no helium, which is best will depend on your priorities.

Just wanted to updatea bit and say that the temperatures has decreased drastically since i did some modifications to my Silverstone DS380. I 3d printed a "cooling duct" that i found from someone who had similar problems. https://blog.briancmoses.com/2017/04/creating-a-cooling-duct-for-the-silverstone-ds380.html

I also installed two Noctua NF-F12 Industrial 3000rpm fans. Loud af but as my server is in the basement, thats not an issue.

Thanks for all the advice!

unraidtemp.thumb.JPG.8f10cc0bc70466070965a738f62e4ca8.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1