System Log 100% due to repeating error

mattgob86

I tried to access my plex docker today and it was offline, I remoted into my VM to see that all of my dockers were off because the log filled up.  Some of the log was the Dynamix Auto Fan Control reporting to the log everytime it changed the fan speed, but the majority of the errors were 

crond[2041]: failed parsing crontab for user root: /usr/local/sbin/mover force 2>/dev/null

I haven't messed with any types of settings that I know of to cause an issue.  I had to restart the server and I upgraded to 6.6.3 at that time.  After the update this error is starting again to hit the system log.  I executed mover and I got errors in the log.  I have attached diagnostics.

bigbeast-diagnostics-20181101-1120.zip

1 hour ago, mattgob86 said:

I executed mover and I got errors in the log.

What is the actual name of this file?

Nov  1 11:15:15 BigBeast move: error: move, 397: No such file or directory (2): lstat: /mnt/cache/TV Shows/TV Shows/News/Eyewitness News at 10 00PM (2012)/Season 2018/Eyewitness News at 10 00PM - S2018E10300300 - 
Nov  1 11:15:15 BigBeast move: error: move, 397: No such file or directory (2): lstat:  .ts

I would guess that it is /mnt/cache/TV Shows/TV Shows/News/Eyewitness News at 10 00PM (2012)/Season 2018/Eyewitness News at 10 00PM -S2018E10300300 - .ts, but I'm thinking that there's a weird character or something messing up mover in the file name.  IE: what is the output of

ls "/mnt/cache/TV Shows/TV Shows/News/Eyewitness News at 10 00PM (2012)/Season 2018/"

Reason I'm thinking this is because it seems strange that mover is trying to move a file named .ts  

Because neither of those 2 files exist (presumably), then mover is logging two errors.  

27 minutes ago, Squid said:

What is the actual name of this file?

Nov  1 11:15:15 BigBeast move: error: move, 397: No such file or directory (2): lstat: /mnt/cache/TV Shows/TV Shows/News/Eyewitness News at 10 00PM (2012)/Season 2018/Eyewitness News at 10 00PM - S2018E10300300 - 
Nov  1 11:15:15 BigBeast move: error: move, 397: No such file or directory (2): lstat:  .ts

I would guess that it is /mnt/cache/TV Shows/TV Shows/News/Eyewitness News at 10 00PM (2012)/Season 2018/Eyewitness News at 10 00PM -S2018E10300300 - .ts, but I'm thinking that there's a weird character or something messing up mover in the file name.  IE: what is the output of

ls "/mnt/cache/TV Shows/TV Shows/News/Eyewitness News at 10 00PM (2012)/Season 2018/"

Reason I'm thinking this is because it seems strange that mover is trying to move a file named .ts  

Because neither of those 2 files exist (presumably), then mover is logging two errors.  

Eyewitness\ News\ at\ 10\ 00PM\ -\ S2018E10300300\ -\ \n\ .ts  Eyewitness\ News\ at\ 10\ 00PM\ -\ S2018E11010300\ -\ \n\ .ts
Eyewitness\ News\ at\ 10\ 00PM\ -\ S2018E10310300\ -\ \n\ .ts

It is a recorded file from Plex, for one I meant for those files to be recorded directly to the array and not to the cache disk, I have the share's settings corrected to No for the cache disk.  

8 minutes ago, mattgob86 said:

\n

^^^ That's the problem right there.  I don't use Plex PVR, but I assume that there's some sort of naming schema or something that you set.  Basically what your schema is doing is inserting a newline character (ie: Enter) into the middle of the filename. 

While under linux, a newline character within a filename is perfectly valid, it is however a PITA to work with, and will cause you nothing but trouble.  (IE: accessing the file via windows as an example with be very difficult).  Check your naming schema and fix that problem.  (You may however have to rename the file via something like mc or Krusader to get mover to work.

Once that's all fixed up, mover shouldn't return an error, and presumably the crond log entry will also disappear. 

4 minutes ago, Squid said:

^^^ That's the problem right there.  I don't use Plex PVR, but I assume that there's some sort of naming schema or something that you set.  Basically what your schema is doing is inserting a newline character (ie: Enter) into the middle of the filename. 

While under linux, a newline character within a filename is perfectly valid, it is however a PITA to work with, and will cause you nothing but trouble.  (IE: accessing the file via windows as an example with be very difficult).  Check your naming schema and fix that problem.  (You may however have to rename the file via something like mc or Krusader to get mover to work.

Once that's all fixed up, mover shouldn't return an error, and presumably the crond log entry will also disappear. 

Plex doesn't have any settings for how things are saved as far as I know.  This also won't be a problem after I get it all moved and it only saves it on the array if I am thinking about it correctly since the problem is when mover is invoked.

You're going to have to move those file(s) manually off of the cache.  Use Krusader (or midnight commander), and move them from

/mnt/cache/TV Shows/.....

to 

/mnt/user0/TV Shows/...

Very important to reference /mnt/user0 and /mnt/cache in this situation

But I'm surprised that there isn't anything you set in Plex on how to name the PVR.  And if there isn't and its inserting a newline into the filename, then it should be posted as a bug report on Plex's forum.

Archived