Adding existing data disks to new array

FingerSuicide

So I am sure that I have read the answer to this before but for the life of me I can't find it.

I setup an unraid server as a trial and copied all my data to it. After about 2 or 3 weeks I shut down the machine as it had to go in to storage. Fast forward 5 months (I think) and we have moved and I have dug out the box from said storage.

I really liked my experience with it and I'm keen to try out a lot more with my box so I connected everything up and can't find the USB key. Today a nice new USB drive that I feel I can trust has just arrived and I have installed the latest unRAID on it. I have set my IP, installed my key and I'm off to the races... Kinda.

The issue is I have 1 250GB SSD (the cache drive) and 3 2TB data disks with data on them but I have no idea which was parity and which were disk 1 and 2. I would like to say I do have the data stored elsewhere but I would really like not to have to go through that again. What is the course of action to get these things back up and running again?

You could assign all disks as dat but it's safer to mount read only, see here:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/73247-many-drives-failed-how-do-i-mount-read-only/?do=findComment&comment=673679

The disk that fails to mount is parity, if more than one fails to mount ask for help, then just reassign all the disks, with single parity data disks order doen't matter, check "parity is already valid" before starting the array and run a non correcting parity check.

35 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

You could assign all disks as dat but it's safer to mount read only, see here:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/73247-many-drives-failed-how-do-i-mount-read-only/?do=findComment&comment=673679

The disk that fails to mount is parity, if more than one fails to mount ask for help, then just reassign all the disks, with single parity data disks order doen't matter, check "parity is already valid" before starting the array and run a non correcting parity check.

OK thank you for replying so quickly. I am not a Linux guy so can I ask a noob question?

- open terminal

- type: mkdir /x (you say replace X with the correct drive letter. What is the correct letter or can I use any? e.g. mkdir /t)

- you say then type: mount -o ro /dev/sdX1 /x (I looked at the list of drives and they are listed as sdb, sdc and sde. what is the 1 for in you example?)

So I typed the following:

mkdir /t

mount -o ro /dev/sdb /t

I got a reply saying:

mount: /t: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sde, missing codepage or helper program, or other error.

This happens when i use sdb, sdc and sde

5 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

You just need to replace the device X not the dir x, but I understand the confusion, you can use any name for the mount point.

You're missing the 1, it should be sdb1

So I added the 1 and sdb1 and sdc1 both seem to complete with no error.

Then sde1 says: mount: /t: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sde1, missing codepage or helper program, or other error.

This means that sde1 is my parity drive I'm assuming? So I will set the SSD to cache - sde1 to parity - sdb1 to disk 1 - sdc1 to disk 2.

Does it matter which is disk 1 and disk 2 at this point now?

Please can you explain what the 1 is for and why when I look at the disk list it doesn't show sdb1, sdc1 etc?

Again sorry for all the questions. I have avoided Linux and right now trying to paint the kitchen too :/

disks.JPG

Just now, FingerSuicide said:

This means that sde1 is my parity drive I'm assuming?

Yes.

Does it matter which is disk 1 and disk 2 at this point now?

Not with single parity.

Please can you explain what the 1 is for and why when I look at the disk list it doesn't show sdb1, sdc1 etc?

It's to specify the partition.

Archived