Parity disk read errors

HD0802

1 minute ago, HD0802 said:

For some reason I cannot upload the whole diagnostics folder?  So I attached all the files in the 'smart' folder.  Hope this is enough.  Otherwise, please let me know what else I need to upload.

The diagnostics should be a single ZIP file (contains various diagnostic files), not a folder.

37 minutes ago, HD0802 said:

@John_M, can you be certain?  This drive is less than a year old.

By all means seek a second opinion (I won't be offended and I've been wrong before) but here's the evidence:

1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     POSR-K   200   200   051    -    2902

It's a WD disk. This should be very low, ideally zero.

Also:

Error 203 [10] occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 10532 hours (438 days + 20 hours)
  When the command that caused the error occurred, the device was active or idle.

After command completion occurred, registers were:
  ER -- ST COUNT  LBA_48  LH LM LL DV DC
  -- -- -- == -- == == == -- -- -- -- --
  40 -- 51 02 20 00 01 31 41 af 9f e0 00  Error: UNC 544 sectors at LBA = 0x13141af9f = 5121355679

which is just one of many read errors. Note the time of the error, 10532 hours, is recent (compared with "now", which is 10541 hours) - less than 10 hours ago.

Nothing has reached the threshold levels yet, which is why the overall SMART report is a pass, but it's failing for sure.

EDIT: It has 10541 hours on the clock, which is 439 days of power on time, so not really less than a year old but hopefully still covered by warranty.

Edited by John_M
10541 / 24 ~= 439
5 hours ago, HD0802 said:

OK, thanks for the reply.  So in effect, this drive is about to be toast.  Would have expected a little better reliability from a WD red drive with just over 400 days of being on.  

It's showing read errors. It could stay below the threshold for some time, but that's exactly what you don't want because it encourages you to procrastinate. A parity disk has no other purpose than to be available and perfectly readable when it's needed.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Just an update to my post.  Was able to contact WD and they replaced my drive.  They honored the warranty even if I no longer have my old receipt and moved to a different country.   My server is now currently rebuilding the parity drive.  Thanks for the replies all.  

Edited by HD0802