UnRAID completely broken after running docker safe new permissions.[SOLVED]

Pyro

To jump ahead a bit to the disposition of the failing and unmountable disk1. I think we were planning to use a new 10TB for parity and reuse the current 8TB parity as data. Could that 8TB be the target for ddrescue? If so, would it be better to have the 8TB already in the array or out? Or some other plan?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, johnnie.black said:

If using ddrescue the destination disk should be outside the array, source disk can be in if the clone is done with the array stopped.

OK. Well I don't see any point in having disk1 (the source) in the array since the array isn't protected currently and we shouldn't rebuild parity with the bad disk1 in the array. So might as well have both source and destination out of the array. After fixing the filesystem on the clone, will we be able to use it in the array with its data intact? If so I assume that would be a New Config and parity resync.

After he gets disk2 copied off we could New Config without disks 1,2,3, but with the new 10TB parity and the still OK disks 4,5 in whatever slots.

Or we could just wait until after the cloning and repair of disk1 filesystem before getting parity synced again, but that would mean leaving the other disks unprotected while working on the disk1 problem. Certainly not as big a risk as he has been operating at.

The only new disk I have outside of the array right now is the 10tb that I'm planning to make into the new parity disk. Will that cause issues later since it's bigger than the 8tb parity currently?

Are there any negative side effects to trying xfs_repair and failing?

I'm a little nervous about this part.

4 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

One thing I forgot to mention, while there's no problem using a larger disk as destination for ddrescue, that disk won't mount in the array, because the partition won't be using the full disk, but you can mount it with for example UD and copy the data to the array.

In that case maybe he should clone to the 10, use the 8 in the array to copy the cloned data and copy back the data already copied to his PC from disks 2,3, then New Config with the 10 as parity.

image.thumb.png.1cc285ac96473372425650296e9a204b.png

If I'm understanding the unraid xfs_repair wiki correctly, I should start the array in maintinance mode (screenshot) and type this into the terminal:

xfs_repair -v /dev/dse1

Is this correct?

I do apologize for the pile of questions, I'm a novice at best and don't want to screw anything up even more.

11 minutes ago, Pyro said:

Is this correct?

No. There is no such thing as /dev/dse1 - you have mistyped. Also /dev/sde is your parity disk so that isn't right either. Look under the Unassigned Devices section that you cut off in your screen grab to find the correct device. It's probably /dev/sdb1 but I can't see it so I can't be sure.

Edited by John_M

Ok, so sde is my (currently useless) parity, but it's also the disk I cloned sdf to. I should have the array stopped, and run:

xfs_repair -v /dev/sde1

Am I getting closer?

sdb is the 10tb that will become my new parity, but it's unformatted.

Edited by Pyro
derp
1 hour ago, Pyro said:

Ok, so sde is my (currently useless) parity, but it's also the disk I cloned sdf to.

You didn't unassign it from the parity slot before cloning onto it?

On 12/1/2018 at 12:06 AM, johnnie.black said:

Any unused new disk, outside the array, same or larger capacity.

The concern I have is that your screenshot shows 7 writes to it, which will have added to the corruption. Stop the array and unassign it.

Otherwise, you have the xfs_repair command correct. You might want to consider re-doing the clone, but you might as well run xfs_repair first and see if it allows you to mount the disk in Unassigned Devices.