Shutdown Vs Stop array

Lien1454

13 hours ago, Lien1454 said:

Hi,

If I choose shut down and forget to stop the array first. Will this cause problems on a protected array?

Or does unraid stop the array before it proceeds to shut down?

Thanks

If everything is operating as it should, shut down is fine. However, if you have an open file or terminal logged in to an array disk, or some other service is misbehaving, then stopping the array will hang waiting for the offending process to allow the disks to be gracefully unmounted. Shut down will time out and forcefully disconnect any running processes after a waiting period. This is good if you need the array to shut down now, it's bad if you forgot about an open file or something.

I prefer to stop the array first, so I can verify everything closed properly before I shut down. If you don't have the luxury to wait, just use shutdown to be sure it will complete.

• 3 years later...
On 2/23/2019 at 3:27 PM, JonathanM said:

If everything is operating as it should, shut down is fine. However, if you have an open file or terminal logged in to an array disk, or some other service is misbehaving, then stopping the array will hang waiting for the offending process to allow the disks to be gracefully unmounted. Shut down will time out and forcefully disconnect any running processes after a waiting period. This is good if you need the array to shut down now, it's bad if you forgot about an open file or something.

I prefer to stop the array first, so I can verify everything closed properly before I shut down. If you don't have the luxury to wait, just use shutdown to be sure it will complete.

I just spent some time in the manual and docs looking for answer to this same question. I even searched the forum here and then went out to a Google search to get directed to this post. This is not a complaint, but I did notice that the general documentation is missing this important instruction. I feel like this exact answer to the question could be placed in the documentation even if in the Q&A section on the Getting Started Page.