[SOLVED ]unRAID won't boot from usb after reboot / restart

[SOLUTION: Make your USB Legacy, UEFI. Pweh, three days of tampering done]

Hi There :)

My Home unRAID server won't boot from usb after reboot / restart.

Every time I must enter bios, save changes (without making any changes), restart, then it boots fine.

After a restart, there is no errors on screen. Just blank. (Normally it would say something like: no media present, if there is no boot disk).

- I tried four different USB sticks (Kingston, Samsung, no-name)

- BIOS set to correct Boot Sequence.

- Same problem whether headless or with monitor

- Disabling all boot devices (emptied the boot sequence) except for the USB.

- Searching for similar problems on MSI motherboards forums

- Tried to boot from four different USB Ports

Same result: Boots fine first time, won’t boot after restart. No boot errors – Just blank screen.

Kudos to any advise out there! 😊

Edited by IWasJustHere
Found solution
  • 1 year later...

So strangely, also with an MSI motherboard, i'm having the exact same issue, boots fine no errors or issues from complete power off, but i cannot reboot else i get the exact same black screen. Even going into the bios and making no changes doesnt fix it, i have to completely power off the system for it to boot again. Any ideas? (this is with a legacy usb (i think) that is just unpacking the files yourself and using the .bat to make it bootable right) first time unraid user here.

• 11 months later...
On 5/20/2020 at 10:26 PM, MitchElwell said:

So strangely, also with an MSI motherboard, i'm having the exact same issue, boots fine no errors or issues from complete power off, but i cannot reboot else i get the exact same black screen. Even going into the bios and making no changes doesnt fix it, i have to completely power off the system for it to boot again. Any ideas? (this is with a legacy usb (i think) that is just unpacking the files yourself and using the .bat to make it bootable right) first time unraid user here.

Sorry if I bother this old post.

Same MSI, same issue here. I disabled the fastboot option in bios and problem solved. No need to change the usb drive in my case. 

Note that there is a "fastboot" (default enabled) and a "msi fastboot" (default disabled), they all need to be disabled.

I got this solution from Pela in this topic . Hope it works for you.

• Thanks 1
  • 4 months later...
On 5/10/2021 at 4:20 AM, Siyuan said:

Same MSI, same issue here. I disabled the fastboot option in bios and problem solved. No need to change the usb drive in my case. 

Note that there is a "fastboot" (default enabled) and a "msi fastboot" (default disabled), they all need to be disabled.

I was having the exact same problem with my MSI motherboard.  This was driving me crazy - I had to remove the flash drive and put it into a different USB slot after each reboot in order to get the system to boot back into unraid.

After turning off the fast boot option in the BIOS it now works perfectly.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
On 9/10/2021 at 8:11 AM, bdee1 said:

I was having the exact same problem with my MSI motherboard.  This was driving me crazy - I had to remove the flash drive and put it into a different USB slot after each reboot in order to get the system to boot back into unraid.

Fix worked for me!  MSI Z590.

• 1 month later...
On 9/10/2021 at 5:11 AM, bdee1 said:

Thanks! Turn off fast boot worked for me!

• 1 month later...
On 5/10/2021 at 1:20 AM, Siyuan said:

Thank-you so much. I've been fighting with this for a couple of days, and it had been driving me crazy. Like bdee1, every time I had to reboot or restart, I had to move the USB drive to another port. At first I thought it was my usb drive, so I swapped that, then I thought it was the motherboard and was about to RMA it until I stumbled across your post.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If anybody can help me out here or has any ideas I’d be super appreciative! 

I’ve got an MSI mortar and it doesn’t have an option to disable fast boot. I’ve got this annoying issue and every time I reboot I have to go into the bios. It’s so frustrating! 

any help would be appreciated. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/18/2023 at 6:57 PM, atmaledy said:

If anybody can help me out here or has any ideas I’d be super appreciative! 

I’ve got an MSI mortar and it doesn’t have an option to disable fast boot. I’ve got this annoying issue and every time I reboot I have to go into the bios. It’s so frustrating! 

any help would be appreciated. 

I had this same issue and disabling fast boot in my MSI bios fixed the reboot issue.

If the below doesn't work for you, try searching for a YouTube video for your specific motherboard; maybe someone else had the same issue.

1. Enable Advanced Mode

The first thing that you have to do is enable advanced mode in the bios.

Once in the MSI bios, you should just be able to press the F7 key on your keyboard to toggle between advanced mode and EZ mode.

If that doesn't work, at least on my MSI Z790-P, the button to enable advanced mode was near the top-center of the bios screen.

2. Disable Fast Boot

Once advanced mode is enabled, you can click big button "Motherboard settings".

Then click on the list item "Boot".

Then the list should change in which you should find Fast boot; disable it.

3. Save Changes

Then navigate back in the menu by pressing the backspace key on your keyboard and select the "Save & Exit" list item.

Then select the option to "Exit saving changes" (or something similar).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Scheev said:

I actually had a really similar problem but disabling fastboot wasn't fixing it. Disabling Secure Boot did fix it for me, hopefully this helps someone.

Secure boot is different topic, when happen BIOS will prompt a warning message.

For fast boot issue, as other people solutions, you can enter/ exit BIOS or change to other USB port for boot one time.