SATA Parity Write Cache Disabled

18 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

And @olschoolplease post back here if they have a solution.

I tend to think it may be an individual drive firmware version that needs to be updated. My problem is trying to get my windows 10 machine to format the XFS unraid disk, I am using the drive with almost no data on it (25 mb), I have to get the drives into NTFS to get run the firmware update tool from WD.

I know it is sort of off topic, but does anyone know how to get windows to recognize a USB XFS so it can be formatted? It sees the drive as a generic drive, but says there is no data on it, and won't allow me to clear and format it. I even used CMD to try and use diskpart and it sees it but also says there is 0 data on it, and therefore it won't "clean" it to format it.

I think I am on the right track once I get the drive firmware updated I can add it to the array and allow it to preclear format and rebuild. Unless someone else can think of a better way to do this. I am trying to do it one disk at a time the one without data first, so I do not loose the data from the array or parity. 

Disk 0 is the laptop SSD and the USB is the WD red pro 10tb from my unRaid server.

image.png.ab9fa4321d9418715ab3015ee0cc329b.png

Edited by olschool
  • 3 weeks later...

I too started seeing this 'advice' to switch on write-cache immediately after 6.7 upgrade. In my case it related to my three WD drives, none of my Seagate drives flagged up so i'm guessing the WD drives shipped with it off. The inclusion into FCP may well have also worked on my previous release but i'll never know now. Anyways ... it's on, everywhere!

• 6 months later...

I just ran into this issue on a Hp microserver with 4TB WD Reds. I could not get write cache enabled to stick on the drives after a reboot. I thought it may be a firmware issue with the drives. I checked another system which has the same drives and write caching was enabled as default. Turned out to be a setting in the HP micorserver's BIOS. I flipped that and write caching was now enabled as default. I thought I might add this here for anyone else that may run across this issue.

• 3 years later...
On 12/8/2019 at 6:41 PM, kricker said:

... Turned out to be a setting in the HP micorserver's BIOS. I flipped that and write caching was now enabled as default. I thought I might add this here for anyone else that may run across this issue.

Hi, did you remember the name of this setting, or location ?

I have an "old" HP DL360 G9 and have the same "issue". 

( Using the onboard SATA / SAS Ports,  the HP Array.... is removed )

Edited by keil