unRaid Kills my home network

I've recently changed my Modem as I've upgraded to 1gig internet. Since then my unraid has seemed to destroy my network to the point of not being able to use it. This doesn't happen immediately but over time (less than a day) I've tested to see if it's the server by removing it from the network(unplug) for up to a week, during that week no issues. plugged it back in and within 6 hours the network needed to be reset again.  I'm unsure as to where to even look to fix this or if it's just some random non-sense to do with my modem. Any thoughts?

Server is only being used as a torrent downloader and file server no other functionality is being used. It's behind OpenVPN for qbittorrent.

Thanks

just a few things you might list:

mode modem is setup in (bridge/router)

description of how your network is laid out (what is acting as a firewall, other routers/switches/ect)

DCHP setting for the server (static/dhcp, if so from what device?)

diagnostics zip from the server after it destroys your network (Tools>diagnostics>

name 1 gig network provider

modem model

at what point does your server connect to your local network

also, turn off the downloader and openvpn for now and see if there is any change.

50 minutes ago, MuchFury said:

Server is only being used as a torrent downloader

Symptoms you're seeing is common for someone who hasn't limited their upload speed in the torrent client. Torrenting is taxing on the router as it constantly has over 100-200++ connections open. You should limit your upload speed to about 75-80% of what your connection can handle. If you don't do this your network will start to suffer. Also, a common misconception about torrenting is that that higher upload speed you have the higher the download speed will be. Which is not entirely true, having too high upload speed will actually slow down downloads, and it will cause higher ping, packet loss and sometimes just brings the entire network to a halt. Especially on a 1 gig internet connection (assuming you only have 1 GB capable hardware and maybe a crappy router form your ISP?).

If capping you upload doesn't work try to reduce the number of active connections in the torrent client.

Edited by strike
  • Like 1
10 minutes ago, Squid said:

include a ton of extra RAM

Lol 😁 I didn't remember the specs on my old asus ac68u router, but I was surprised on how little ram it had when I googled it. A whopping 256MB.. I thought it was at least double. Having that in mind I can only imagine how little RAM those crappy ISP routers must have. One of the reasons I bought my self a proper box and put pfsense on it. Right now it uses about 400MB RAM, doing nothing.. Well, it's not really fair to compare my box with pfsense with a consumer router. My pfsense box is running way more advanced features than my asus router ever could. Like IDS/IPS software which does require some resources.

So I've left qbittorent turned off and my network hasn't suffered any difficulties. I've limited the downloader's up and down so that it doesn't congest my network too much. The modem i use is an Arris TG3452A which was provided by Cogeco (Ontario, Canada ISP). I currently have a a tp-link 8 port smart switch between my devices and the modem though it hasn't had any configurations pushed to it aside for a static IP address.

Couple of my considerations are, did i setup OpenVPN incorrectly and it's faulting my network, Does my ISP shut down my connection based on the activity and force me to renew my public IP, does my hardware not support the load I'm putting on it(currently waiting on shipping for a whitebox board to replace this system).

Are there any other considerations i should delve into? I've honestly not had a lot of time to spend digging but some direction would be awesome!