Promise SATA Cards

flambot

Hello my fellow Unraidians,

Well I've just taken the plunge from the basic version to the "Pro" version and 15 data drive possibilities.  Thx Tom for the prompt mail-out of my rego file.

I went to get some more 500Gb HDD's this morning only to find most local vendors don't keep stock (even though advertised on their websites).  Thankfully I finally tracked down a store that had two.  I put two more on order.  This fills all the available SATA ports on the MB, so my next question is the add-on cards.  I rang the local distributor and they weren't very knowledgeable about the TX4 (seemed to think it was an old card).  The could offer other cards (think scary price!!), but I want something that's been tested to work.  I know there are some other Kiwis visiting these boards - any suggestions locally?

While these are currently not critical (I have 2Tb to fill up first) I'd like to chase these up now so I don't have to wait weeks for their arrival (I might have to import).

Hey Tom, could you possibly supply if need be?

Finally, my MB (P5B-E) has one external SATA port (there are 7 Internal).  Any suggestions as to the best way to utilise this port.  I'll probably have to drill a hole and thread a SATA cable outside.  Are long SATA cables okay?  Without this port I can't fulfil my 16 drive limit.  Thx in advance.

flambot, where are you located? If in the US, you can get them from NewEgg, Amazon and CDW, all for close to the same price, seems like it was between $70 and $80.

I ordered mine from Amazon because it was a little cheaper and qualified for free standard shipping and I wasn't in a hurry :)

Hey Tom, could you possibly supply if need be?

Are you talking about the Promise SATA TX4's?  If so, send me an email [email protected] and I might be able help you out.

Finally, my MB (P5B-E) has one external SATA port (there are 7 Internal).  Any suggestions as to the best way to utilise this port.  I'll probably have to drill a hole and thread a SATA cable outside.  Are long SATA cables okay?  Without this port I can't fulfil my 16 drive limit.  Thx in advance.

Long cables are ok.  You can attach an external SATA drive, perhaps using it to quickly transfer from existing hard drives - that is one of the uses we envision for the eSATA connector on the MD-1500.

Archived