Hard drive won't format (Solved)

1 minute ago, Ziga said:

then i just pulled it out, formatted it on another PC, turned off unraid, put the disk back, turned unraid on and the disk was unmountable. tried read check, then i stopped array and put it in as Disk2. 

This sounds like what I would expect as you made changes to the disk outside Unraid control.   As far as Unraid is concerned you have corrupted the disk which is why it is unmountable.

it was said unmountable under "MAIN" tab.  Just like OP's post.

7 minutes ago, itimpi said:

This sounds like what I would expect as you made changes to the disk outside Unraid control.   As far as Unraid is concerned you have corrupted the disk which is why it is unmountable.

I just wanted to simulate a failed disk and simulate buying a new , empty one. Is there any way to format it also in Unraid? 

Edited by Ziga

OK, I think I understand now. The disk was never unassigned, and Unraid tried to use it when you started back up, but you had corrupted it. Formatting the disk on another system resulted in a filesystem on the disk that Unraid wasn't expecting, and, in fact, was probably not a filesystem that Unraid allows for assigned disks.

Now that it isn't assigned anymore, the emulated disk1 is mounting fine.

What you needed to do was assign a different disk as disk1, and then Unraid would have begun rebuilding to that new disk.

Or, you would have had to unassign that original disk1 and start the array without it assigned. Then you could stop the array and reassign it and Unraid would have treated it as a replacement.

Ok, but how come i lost all the data? Shouldnt it be stored in parity?

I couldnt assign any other disk to disk1, bcuz i dont have any other physical disk. 

I will try again tomorrow with the correct way. I juat want to test it and learn how to change a disk on failure.

Few days ago i did the same way with parity disk, but everything was OK.

Thanks for your explanations!!

Edited by Ziga
19 minutes ago, trurl said:

Formatting the disk on another system resulted in a filesystem on the disk that Unraid wasn't expecting, and, in fact, was probably not a filesystem that Unraid allows for assigned disks.

In some ways it's a good thing that you had formatted it to an incompatible filesystem. If Unraid had seen that the filesystem was the same as it expected, it would have used it just like that, but it would be an empty disk, and your parity would be invalid.

8 minutes ago, Ziga said:

how come i lost all the data? 

It isn't clear that you have lost any data. Emulated disk1 is mounted and all files on that emulated disk should be accessible. Your screenshot is showing Media and Media2 as unprotected. Since you have cache redundancy, that means that all of Media and Media2 are on the emulated disk1.

All other shares have all their data on cache.

And your diagnostics agrees with all that, expect that I didn't see any share named Media2 in your diagnostics. Perhaps you created it on the emulated disk1 after taking the diagnostics.

If you think there is data missing then you did something else to it. Maybe you moved it to Media2.

Also, I noticed that you have set appdata, domains, and system shares to cache-yes instead of cache-prefer as they should be. You want those shares to stay on fast cache so your dockers and VMs won't have performance impacted by slower parity, and so they wont keep array disks spunup.

19 minutes ago, Ziga said:

Shouldnt it be stored in parity?

In the general case, parity doesn't store anything except parity bits. Parity plus all other disks are required to rebuild a missing disk. Parity isn't a backup. It obviously doesn't have the capacity to store all the data from however many data disks you might have in the array.

In the specific case where you only had one data disk, though, the parity calculation results in a mirror, so in a way that data was stored on parity.

And, in fact, the data can still be recovered from parity by replacing disk1. It will rebuild the contents of the emulated disk1 to the replacement.

Note that any files that are actually missing, if any, won't be recovered. All the files that can be recovered are already on your server.

Well, I assume that Media share was re-created by Plex, because only file inside is Transcoding now and all photos are gone. Media2 i created later.

I will change cache to prefer for those share you wrote. 

read finished now and now i got this: 

image.thumb.png.3419d845d4c6fab10c340f39ec061dc7.png

So it's still not back to normal. could you lead me to set it to previous state working with only parity and disk1? 

Not sure how you got to emulated disk1 not mounted. If it was still mounted when you formatted disk2 after it finished clearing, you could have moved the files from emulated disk1 to disk2, then New Config with that disk2 assigned to the disk1 slot.

And, it might have been possible to repair the emulated disk1 filesystem and still recover the files.

Please ask if you have problems in the future. The main reason people lose files is because they make a mistake trying to recover them.