New Zotac XBMC setup and UnRaid Shares question

Tight_wad

Which way would be better?

1)  1 Share on the UNRaid and XBMC sourced to just that one big share

2)  11 shares, each disk shared from UnRaid and each one as source in XBMC.  And let XBMC combine them in the library mode.

3)  Or divide my movies into 4 different shares, and do the same as option 2

I have about 1800 movies that equal about 9.5tb in size.  I will have 3 to 5 XBMC's on the network.  Network is all Gigabyte.

Just don't want to over load things.

Thanks

Yep, that's what I do too (option 1 in your list above).  If you also install cache_dirs on your unRAID server, then your disks will only spin up when you select a movie to be played.  I've got about half as many movies as you do, but I don't think it will really matter.  Once it finishes the initial scan (which may take several days), XBMC will keep your movie listings on its local database.  So when browsing your movies, you are only looking at the file names on the XBMC box's boot drive (this is where SSDs can help speed things up).  When you do select a movie to play, you will notice a 2-3 second lag while the disk containing that movie spins up.

1)  1 Share on the UNRaid and XBMC sourced to just that one big share

This. I have less movies than you by a little, but they are all HD so they take up WAY more space (and network resources) and yet User Shares still works perfect for me up to 5 clients.

I also second getting a SSD in the HTPC. Otherwise loading the fanart of 1800 movies is painful...

Thanks all for the advice.

As for the SSD's, I just received 2 new ones for each of the units that I am working on.

I had played with one of them using an SD Card, and it was too slow.  Startup alone was 2.5 minutes on XBMC live Camelot.  2 min. on New Beta 3, little improvement.  And there was a lot of lag time with both, in the navigation of windows and menus, enough that it made you think you did not really click on something.  This just won't do, wife will complain too much.

I am downloading XBMCfreaks beta3, I am going to see how things go with the SSD drive with that.

Read on the Xbmcfreak site that the XBMC beta 4 is out for Linux, and soon  to be out for live and windows.

I am downloading XBMCfreaks beta3, I am going to see how things go with the SSD drive with that.

Read on the Xbmcfreak site that the XBMC beta 4 is out for Linux, and soon  to be out for live and windows.

Can XBMCfreaks be used on any hardware or is it specific to Atom?

I run the openelec version of XBMC on my ION2 Jetway box and it works great for the most part.  There is still some remote things to figure out but the remote mostly works with a build I am running.

When I go to the openelec site there aren't any files to download.  What, how do you install?

I did my install of XBMCfreak Beta 3 and the SSD 30gb drive last night.  I must say WOW now it is fast!  29 seconds from pushing the on button to main home screen.

I tried to hook up my switch to the router, but would not do anything. So I looked at my setting so the router and the setting for my media network.  Found that things are setup differently.

Different ip addresses, different subnet masks, and different gateways.  Everything on the my media network has static IP address and the router network has Dhcp server to assign the IP address.

I can reset one of them to be more like the other if need.  I do want to keep the Static IP for my equipment.  Other than that, it makes no difference to me what is used.

What way should I proceed on setting things up?

When I go to the openelec site there aren't any files to download.  What, how do you install?

http://openelec.tv/index.php?option=com_jdownloads&view=viewcategory&catid=25&Itemid=307

Thanks.  I was able to make the flash installer but it error out during install saying missing AGP or VGA something or other.  I'll stick with XBMC Live CD for now.

If I knew the hardware you are trying to run it on I might be able to help.  Also, check out there forum for some help.

Yesterday I tried to hookup my Netgear Gs108 switch to my router.  Everything worked except for my Tvix 6500 streamers.  Couldn't get them to ping through the router.  Router assigned their ip address, and logs said it was actively trying to communicate, but wasn't able to ping.  Really sucks, took me longer to put everything back to the way it was.

Looks like I will be purchasing another switch to set my Tvix system up on its own until I am ready to fire up my new XBMC system.

This just another reason why I want to go to the XBMC's!

nice thing about using User Shares in xbmc is ....

my disk1 has about 120GB left on it and im going to switch my download directory to disk2. I won't have to fiddle with xbmc adding another source because disk2 will be part of my user shares. add as many drives as you like and its all treated as one source as far as xbmc is concerned

-=Jason=-