Unmountable Disks

Hello everyone,

I recently had one of my drives fail on me and was swapping it out with a new one. When I was trying to figure out which drive failed I realized that I could better arrange my disks so their disk number in Unraid matched the number printed on their drive bay. I swapped around the disks and plugged them in to no apparent errors, but now I notice that 3 of my drives say "Unmountable" while my drive that failed is being rebuilt right now. It seems to be rebuilding fine, but the drives still say unmountable. Was this caused by swapping the bays that they were in? And are there any tips for fixing it?

Thanks,

Josh

Moving the disks shouldn't matter since Unraid keeps track of them using their serial numbers. They shouldn't be unmountable though so something not right. Are they plugged in to motherboard ports or a separate controller?

Maybe check the connections. Probably the rebuild isn't going to work anyway since rebuilding requires reading all the other disks.

Your syslog has a lot of this. Don't know why.

Aug  1 19:08:14 Apollo kernel: blk_update_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0
Aug  1 19:08:14 Apollo kernel: floppy: error -5 while reading block 0

@trurl The rebuilding process is at 10% right now. I use both ports on the motherboard as well as a PCIe Sata board. It's not a raid card, but the only thing plugged into that right now is my cache disk which is operating normally, so all disks that are unmountable are attached directly to my motherboard.

I have no idea what that is in my syslog. I don't have any floppy readers or anything like that in the server, only drive bays. (Also I'm new to the forum, so I don't know if it notifies you of my replies, which is why I keep @ mentioning you)

Forgot to add, all sata connections are secure to the motherboard

Edited by JoshHolme

The original disk 1 wasn't being recognized in any bay that I put it in, but other disks were able to be recognized by the bay that disk 1 was in. So I think it's definitely the hard drive that went bad. I still have it but I do have to return it to western digital as the new drive I have is a warranty replacement.

Kind of a strange problem, filesystems look corrupt, very unlikely to happen to all 3 with normal use.

One thing the OP should do is change the STA controller to AHCI, though this shouldn't change anything for this problem.

Also the extra SATA controller is not recommended and has known issues with Unraid, like timeouts and dropping disks, though still unrelated to current issues since no disks are using it.

I don't believe it was powered on when I switched them out, but thinking back now I'm not positive. The rebuild completed successfully on my new drive that I put in, which is strange since the other disks are unmountable. Should I try to rebuild the others one by one? It seems like it should work since disk 1 was able to be rebuilt successfully.

1 minute ago, JoshHolme said:

I don't believe it was powered on when I switched them out, but thinking back now I'm not positive. The rebuild completed successfully on my new drive that I put in, which is strange since the other disks are unmountable. Should I try to rebuild the others one by one? It seems like it should work since disk 1 was able to be rebuilt successfully.

Rebuilding a disk will not fix an 'unmountable' problem as that is normally caused by file system corruption.   Rebuilding just recreates the disk including any file system corruption.

The correct way to fix such a problem is to stop the array; restart it in Maintenance mode; and then click on a problem drive on the Main tab to get to the options for file system check (and repair).

I will try the Maintenance mode when I get home from work today. 

10 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Rebuilding a disk will not fix an 'unmountable' problem as that is normally caused by file system corruption.   Rebuilding just recreates the disk including any file system corruption.

But doesn't unraid parity work by bit math? If the filesystem was corrupt, wouldn't the bits be different resulting in a corrupt rebuild of disk 1?

13 minutes ago, JoshHolme said:

I will try the Maintenance mode when I get home from work today. 

But doesn't unraid parity work by bit math? If the filesystem was corrupt, wouldn't the bits be different resulting in a corrupt rebuild of disk 1?

When you have a corrupt file system this is typically reflected in the bits stored on the parity drive (which is why the rebuild does not help).

@itimpi I just started the filesystem check with -n and immediately got the error

Phase 1 - find and verify superblock...
error reading superblock 4 -- seek to offset 1000204861440 failed
couldn't verify primary superblock - attempted to perform I/O beyond EOF !!!

attempting to find secondary superblock...
..................................................................................................

and the dots continue as it's trying to find a secondary. This is on disk 2

Edited by JoshHolme

Disk 4 gets the following output with -n

Phase 1 - find and verify superblock...
couldn't verify primary superblock - not enough secondary superblocks with matching geometry !!!

attempting to find secondary superblock...

Edited by JoshHolme