(SOLVED) Test old Array with latest OS on trial key?

Hello, My trusty old i3 array is still running v.5.02 it is quite slow now but with over 40tb of data I have been too cowardly to update it.

My question is simply can I download the latest OS version onto a new USB drive as a trial instead of updating the current version?

I'd like to test it without having to change any of the existing apps that are installed like Twonky.

If my hardware is all good I then want to reinsert my old licensed USB and then update to the latest version.

Any advise appreciated.

Not really a simple upgrade process.  I would suggest that you start reading here:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/39323-upgrading-to-unraid-v6/

and here:

https://wiki.unraid.net/index.php/Upgrading_to_UnRAID_v6

Unfortunately, you have waited so long (Version 6.X is now more than four years old) that most of us have forgotten most of the basic steps and the gotcha's that many encountered on the upgrade path.  

Instead of upgrading, I recommend a new installation.

Take a new USB device as you said, and install the latest Unraid version on it (you can use the USB creator tool).

Assign your disks as before and your data is back.

You'll need to recreate users and shares, but this is a relative easy task.

Starting fresh, gives the advantage to start lean and mean...

26 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

Not really a simple upgrade process.  I would suggest that you start reading here:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/39323-upgrading-to-unraid-v6/

and here:

https://wiki.unraid.net/index.php/Upgrading_to_UnRAID_v6

Unfortunately, you have waited so long (Version 6.X is now more than four years old) that most of us have forgotten most of the basic steps and the gotcha's that many encountered on the upgrade path.  

Wish I had done it before to be honest, I upgraded from v.4 to v.5 but you know how it goes, busy life and it was working fine at the time so no need to fry fixing something that wasn't broken. My mistake! LOL 

Thanks for the response

17 minutes ago, bonienl said:

Instead of upgrading, I recommend a new installation.

Take a new USB device as you said, and install the latest Unraid version on it (you can use the USB creator tool).

Assign your disks as before and your data is back.

You'll need to recreate users and shares, but this is a relative easy task.

Starting fresh, gives the advantage to start lean and mean...

Thanks for the quick response, I have used the USB Creator tool and built and that is ready to use. Can I put this new USB drive into my existing server for testing purposes with my current drives, If it all seems ok revert back to my existing licensed USB then upgrade as new build?

I am worried about the data staying intact not so bothered about the existing Apps etc. just don't want to lose any data, it currently has 15 drives mixture of 3 and 4tb.

1 hour ago, LittleTomTit said:

Thanks for the quick response, I have used the USB Creator tool and built and that is ready to use. Can I put this new USB drive into my existing server for testing purposes with my current drives, If it all seems ok revert back to my existing licensed USB then upgrade as new build?

I am worried about the data staying intact not so bothered about the existing Apps etc. just don't want to lose any data, it currently has 15 drives mixture of 3 and 4tb.

Get screen captures of all of the setup screens including Main so that you can do the basic setup of server name, disk assignments, Network settings, etc.  Use these to do the basic setups.  You will also need to make copies of the setup for any plugins that you have on version 5 that you can't live without  Avoid plugins and use Dockers when possible...

1 hour ago, Frank1940 said:

Get screen captures of all of the setup screens including Main so that you can do the basic setup of server name, disk assignments, Network settings, etc.  Use these to do the basic setups.  You will also need to make copies of the setup for any plugins that you have on version 5 that you can't live without  Avoid plugins and use Dockers when possible...

OH No! it was seeing one of my drives as an error (Disk 13), quickly popped my existing USB back (as parity drive would have needed rebuilding in v.6)imageproxy.php?img=&key=e5eec7c5c933ca16 and indeed one of my 4TB drives (Disk 13) now shows as unformatted. Any sugestions?

Edited by LittleTomTit

tower2-syslog-20190929-1633.ziptower2-syslog-20190929-1633.ziptower2-syslog-20190929-1633.ziptower2-syslog-20190929-1633.ziptower2-syslog-20190929-1633.ziptower2-syslog-20190929-1633.ziptower2-syslog-20190929-1633.ziptower2-syslog-20190929-1633.ziptower2-syslog-20190929-1633.ziptower2-syslog-20190929-1633.ziptower2-syslog-20190929-1633.ziptower2-syslog-20190929-1633.ziptower2-syslog-20190929-1633.zipHi guys, I am now running on V.6.7.2 with One drive completely down and 2 with errors.

I have a 4TB drive which was running ok on V5.02 which now says unformated.

I have 2 drives with errors.

Not sure what to do for the best, any help please?

attached syslog

Edited by LittleTomTit

I would be troubleshooting in the version 5 mode.  You want to be addressing (and/or changing) only one problem/thing at a time.  You want to get a Syslog and the SMART report on that drive.  Am I correct in assuming that the drive is not being emulated?  You really need to have your ver5 working properly before attempting the upgrade. 

2 minutes ago, LittleTomTit said:

attached syslog

It did not make it...

Completed on Disk13 and says to --rebuild-tree.

would I be better off replacing the drive and hoping that it rebuilds ok from Parity (or does it not work like that)?

so am I best to  "reiserfsck --rebuild-tree /dev/md13" OR to wait and replace the entire disk and let it rebuild? (Not forgetting I have 2 other drives that were showing errors when in v.6) that I was blissfully unaware of until attempting the OS upgrade lol

I really appreciate the help guys!

14 minutes ago, LittleTomTit said:

Completed on Disk13 and says to --rebuild-tree.

would I be better off replacing the drive and hoping that it rebuilds ok from Parity (or does it not work like that)?

so am I best to  "reiserfsck --rebuild-tree /dev/md13" OR to wait and replace the entire disk and let it rebuild? (Not forgetting I have 2 other drives that were showing errors when in v.6) that I was blissfully unaware of until attempting the OS upgrade lol

I really appreciate the help guys!

You need to use the —rebuild-tree option to try and fix the file-system corruption     It is not possible to recover from file system corruption by rebuilding a disk - you will just end up with a disk with the same file system corruption as that is currently reflected in parity.

1 minute ago, itimpi said:

You need to use the —rebuild-tree option to try and fix the file-system corruption     It is not possible to recover from file system corruption by rebuilding a disk - you will just end up with a disk with the same file system corruption as that is currently reflected in parity.

Doh! i'm just a bit tired now been a long day! Thank you.

• LittleTomTit changed the title to (SOLVED) Test old Array with latest OS on trial key?