APC Back-UPS XS, BX1500G, 1500VA/865 Watt for $99 at Office Depot

SCSI

So, I ordered this item "late" (in backordered status) on Black Friday as well as a few others, I'm sure. When I initially ordered it I received an email, as well as my online status from their site, stating that I would receive it on the 5th of December. On the 4th, I had not received any email updates, nor had my online status changed, so I initiated a chat with an associate.

"Luckily", he was the worst person I ever chatted with or received customer service from. First, he told me that the item could not be shipped to me because my local shipping hub was out. When I asked him for more details he first repeated that and then stated that the item was no longer in stock at all. When I informed him that the website currently had them as being as to still be purchased (and STILL does this second), he reiterated they were sold out and tried to rush me off. My simple request was that since I placed the order expecting the item, that when it would be available - today, tomorrow, or a year+ from now - that I would get the item for my 99.99 purchase price. At that point he told me I should go store-to-store and look for it myself.

Of course I asked for management and after a few more minor speed-bumps, my order status page was canceled by a high-level supervisor and she loosely apologized - BUT (the "luckily" bit), she sent me a gift card in the mail that I already received and spent for $100.

Soooo...just wanted to update anyone waiting that you should call/write/chat with them and find out if they're stringing you along. Personally I would've rather had the CHEAP 99.99 UPS, however, I definitely did not turn down the free hundy!

I printed out an ad for the slightly smaller 1300 from Office Depot and took it in to Frys to see if they'd match it ($89 instead of $129 or $139 I think).  I wouldn't have minded a bit if they said "No" since it was an internet ad etc..., but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.  But even though it was an internet only price they matched it after about 15 minutes of calling different people and getting authorizations.  Yes I have rewarded them with more business.

James-very good idea...lucky you!

Raj-it was for my customer service issues is what I best understand.however I didn't ask any questions though...not a fun process. I was happy for the FREE hundred gift card. (they took my order but at no point did they charge my card...my complaint was that I placed a legit order through their business and I wanted them to honor the deal...whenever their stock was sufficient)

Free hundred gift card = happy me

...but...

Good ups for one hundred off the ticket price with free shipping would have made me happier

Eh, no complaints here though...just giving ya'll the heads up

That is good customer service in my book.  I know Newegg has done similar things for me - if I was unable to claim a rebate because of some error on their part (which has actually happened more than once), they will just credit me the amount of the rebate without too much hassle.

At first I thought they had originally charged you and then refunded you with a gift card, essentially forcing you to spend that money at their store.  That kind of practice would irk me to no end.

Since my g.c. is already spent, I've got to say:

Get with the program O.D! You can alleviate past (B.F.), current, and future headaches if you - at the very LeAsT - update youre stankin website!!!

(20 min drive is worth in the gas, IMO, especially since this might be an issue where some of "us" are chasing our tails...)

I just(right before this post) called and talked to a very nice rep. She said it would be no problem to change my order to a store pickup, like madpoet was told. I have 10 stores within 100 miles of me that have the units. Unfortunately I can't drive(for medical reasons) and I really don't want to make my wife travel an 45 min. - 1.5 hour(depending on which store) to get this on one of her days off. So I told the Rep. to hold off on the order change for now, but she said she'd note it in my order's notes/info. So if I change my mind(may do that if it takes another week to come in stock) or am able to get someone else(besides my wife) to take me... It's just a quick call to CS and giving them the order# and store# I'm going to.

PS: One reason I may decide to go the store pickup route is... While talking to her(about how messed up I felt this was) I mentioned how I actually wished to order 2 units online, but the backorder prevented it(small lie/exaggeration) and only did 1 unit. She said it was fine and for my trouble she would be glad to have 2 units waiting for pickup at the $99 each price. ;D

EDIT>>While I was typing(this original post) and talking to my wife, jcarmi04 posted his message above. I'm now really questioning if I just should have told the CS Rep. to change it to store pickup then. Maybe I should call back now and do it. I'd hate to wait for stock to come in for shipping, only to find that I waited too long and they won't have any... even at local stores.  Erhhh, I just wish they could ship it from the store to me, and yes I did ask about that. No go. :(<<EDIT

Got a call from customer support yesterday and they said these units should be coming back into stock any day, at which time I would be shipped my unit.

I happened to be out last night and there was an Office Depot right next door so I stopped in. They had 5 on the shelf. I told the manager my situation and asked about getting one of his units off the shelf in place of my online order. He wasn't having that. I called the customer support number while in the store to ask about making this switch too, they also declined to help.

So I will be waiting until next week to see if I get an shipping notice.

I just called Office Depot about this again. More than a month since I ordered it and still back ordered (meanwhile the stores around me have several).

The lady cancelled my online order and sent me a confirmation  (with the $99 sale price) and told me to take it to the local Office Depot and they would honor the price. I had her put a note in my record incase the store manager doesn't want to play ball.

I will let you know later tonight how this plays out.

Mine says it will be delivered Jan 4th.  I will believe it when I see it.

Joe

My 2 say they will come on the 5th. I'm almost certian they'll come since I called my CC company and they said it was pending(yesterday) and now(today) is approved, however I won't be charged until they're delivered and I call tham. I so hate OfficeDepot after this ordeal. I've had them "approve" a price match(on 1 of the 2 units, 2nd was still to be the same APC) on an equivalent model after I'd waited on backorder for well over 3 weeks, only to have it get lost in shipping. After that, I did recieve a second shipment of the "price match" unit only to find they charged full price(over $200). >:( They now claim they can't credit my card for the difference since it's a "special order business part." Even better they say that such units can't be returned. ::) I've talked to my CC company about this and found OD had yet to even credit me for the unit(1st price match) that wasn't delivered. Even more interesting they had started to process a charge of over $400 dollars. My CC stopped that charge and has told me they've had issues with OD before. OD claims the $400 charge was a mistake in processing the 2 APC units(in other words they charged full price) ??? I've explained this whole month+ ordeal to at least 8+ OD CS Reps, and get conflicting answers. Fortunately my CC is behind me and has removed all but one($218), which I'm trying to get OD to do the right thing themselves and price match it to $99 as they said they would(before I even ordered it).

So in getting these 2 units I've had over $1000 dollars of attempted charges put thru my card. After I get the shipment on the 5th, we're putting a block on OfficeDepot. I'd do it now but, my CC rep suggested I wait until I get what I actually ordered so OD doesn't try anything funny(with this last shipment). After this package comes I'm never using OfficeDepot for anything ever again. As for the only open issue of the $218 charge that should have been ~$99.. my CC companies is behind and ready with the info to despute the charge. I swear if I end up in small claims court I will be so pissed.

I hope 2011 goes better than 2010 ended. :P

Well an update in my never ending saga to get a APC UPS...

I checked my account(online via OfficeDepot's site) and it showed my 1st(2 APC units) order as shipped. This was good since it meant they should arrive tommorrow, as the invoice stated. However upon looking closer I noticed some strange things, like the order being for $0. I then clicked on tracking and it said delivered. ???>:(

I called OD CS and talked to Lisa... I've been taking names and making notes of all calls for about the last 3 weeks. Lisa explained my order was cancelled. I explained to her my whole ordeal, including how this was now definitely a bait and switch(paid $200 for 1 equivalant unit when I was offered/ordered 2 @ $100 each). To my, suprise Lisa was great. :) She immediately re-ordered my order(new order and #) and made sure when they would be in stock. She saw they were priced at $199 and immediately placed a coupon credit of $200 on my order. So now the units should come by the 10th. I asked her what if they didn't and she said she was sending me an email with all the info from my call. In other words, I should call her and she would give me options... I told her I'd just prefer to have it turned into a store pickup. She agreed and said if I had any trouble it would be done. She even enrolled me over the phone into their rewards program and got me credited for all these orders, price matches(keep in mind only this order was a real pricematch), and re-orders. :) In general she was great and far more knowledgable than most of the people I've talked to who are supposed to be above her...

RANT>>>Which all seem to have an Indian(sub-continant) accent and know nothing of customer service or etiquette. Not that I'm blaming a group, just that escalating seems to lead me to people who know less(about their own products and policies) and often can't understand me(although this may be my fault ;) ). Office Depot should promote people like Lisa rather than outsourcing, or at least ensure they are trained properly. ::)<<<RANT

I feel like I'm almost there. (fingers-crossed) All that's left after I get these units is the $218 despute over the equivalant price-match unit. Ohhh and now the $30 dollar Office Depot gift card that was consumed(used) in the order that was cancelled. Appearantly I was supposed to hold onto it over all these weeks, even though it was used up on the 2 APC order. Appearantly they(OD) can't get the full number back(just the last 4 digits) even thou it shows up as a $30 credit along with my credit card on the cancelled order. So maybe some lucky garbage person will find the two halves(I cut it up before throwing away) and use it. Someone should get the $30 rather than it just literally being thrown away.

/peace

Sorry for posting right after myself. But after posting all my problems, I didn't feel a simple edit was best.

So I got my 2 APC units. I had to hire(feed) my cousin to take me to the nearest Office Depot. It's about ~30 miles(as the crow flies), 50miles(by the shortest road route), and well over 1 hour one way. Good news is Pat(the manager of Leesburg,Va) OD is a great guy. I called OD(800#) and they put Pat on the phone and he was cool. He had it all waiting for me and was polite and even helped me find a keyboard to replace my old one. So I hold no ill will towards OD brick@mortar... Web is another issue, but even there it's with their higher ups that won't do what they promised.

So 6 weeks after I ordered, at least 6 order numbers(really 9, since they updated,cancelled,re-instated 1 order), over $1000 in CC charges(only ~$300 legit), consuming(read losing) a $30 gift card, countless phone calls(~5 minute average each, but as long as 1 hr), 1.5 pages of notes from calls/issues, over ~2.5 hrs driving, and nearly 20hrs sleeping(pain/medication induced) off my migraine(likely due mostly to the driving trip, but to be fair I'm on SSD for a reason)... I have what I started out to get.

All that's left is for OD to admit(stop fighting) that they overcharged me ~ $144(acccording to the calculations of my credit card companies' despute agent) in the "process" of getting these uinits. Good news is my CC has already creditted me the money back, and put a hold on OD for my account. So I'll drop this tale here as I've hijacked this thread too much already. Thanks to the OP for pointing out this deal, and I mean that in an honest way, no sarcasm involved. Thanks to all who posted about how they got their unit(ie store pickup). Thanks to those who posted when they made progress, etc.

/peace