We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Only getting 100Meg on Unraid

Hi All, 

So I have a HP Server GL160 G6 I think, has 2 on board and 1 additional Broadcom Net Xtreme NIC. Regardless of where i plug in to i am only seeing 100meg speeds in Unraid. I am using 2 3TB spinning drives and a SSD for a cache Drive. I have created a share using only the Cache drive to remove any bottle neck on the spinnging disks but i still dont see speeds over 11MB/s in windows file transfer and the unraid server is showing 100.6Mbps. I am also seeing the same results on Torrent files, never achieving more that 11MB/s (I am on a 350m connection and ususally see speeds around 30-35). Before Unraid i was running Windows Server and getting 1Gig.

I dont know what to show you from the system to provide any further data so here is a cut from the system devices

IOMMU group 12:[14e4:1681] 07:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries NetXtreme BCM5761 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe (rev 10)

IOMMU group 13:[8086:10c9] 05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82576 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 01)

IOMMU group 14:[8086:10c9] 05:00.1 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82576 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 01)

any advice?

Link partner advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                     100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
    Link partner advertised pause frame use: Symmetric
    Link partner advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
    Link partner advertised FEC modes: Not reported
    Speed: 100Mb/s

Check switch, cables, whatever the NIC is connect to only advertises 100Mbits

4 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

Link partner advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                     100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
    Link partner advertised pause frame use: Symmetric
    Link partner advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
    Link partner advertised FEC modes: Not reported
    Speed: 100Mb/s

Check switch, cables, whatever the NIC is connect to only advertises 100Mbits

Which document did you get this info from too please mate?

4 hours ago, Steve1978 said:

Which document did you get this info from too please mate?

In the diagnostics, this is found in system/ethtool.txt.

You should take a look at your diagnostics sometime. It is text files that you can read, and some of those correspond to the settings you have made in the webUI. Also SMART for all disks and syslog is included.

6 minutes ago, Steve1978 said:

Excellent. Thanks. 

I moved the Ethernet to one of the other ports (Server has 3 plus ilo) then got gig. Moved it back got 100. Very odd but hey got gig now. Thanks all

1Gb connection requires 4 twisted pairs while 100Mb requires only 2 so a damaged cable and/or port can silently downgrade to 100Mb and it is not always obvious why.