My first (unraid) server setup (looking for expansion)

skank

oh right, offcourse thx

something like this right http://azerty.nl/8-1549-39866/belkin-power-y-splitter-spli.html

Correct.

So you always can add more. just buy them when you need them. e.g. when adding extra disks.

You can buy these kabels at any local pc store

ok

so for 12 hdds i need for example

1 x http://azerty.nl/8-1549-39866/belkin-power-y-splitter-spli.html

4 x the one that bolle mentions

this is the easiest, cheapest way? but also the cleanest way? or can i do it more clean?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how big should the usb stick be? is 2gb enough? or better 4? (cause i got an old 2gb sandisk cruzer usb stick, should i get a new 4gb one?)

unRAID will fit on just about any flash drive. Anything from 128meg on up will do.  (it originally was distributed on a 128 Meg drive) 

If you want some room for add-ons, anything 1Gig or bigger.  The 2Gig will work fine.  Both of mine are 1Gig.

great i can use my usb stick then

just ordered:

OEM 3 Seriële ATA / SAS kabel Computer intern/Seriële ATA / SAS 7-pens seriële ATA - 45 cm    € 7,50

Kingston ValueRAM € 42,66

ASUS M4A78LT-M € 52,87

WD Caviar Green WD20EARS € 83,70

Corsair CX430    € 42,84

Processor    € 57,95

Cooler Master Centurion 590      € 70,70

Here's some options to keep the cabling a bit cleaner:

4 pin molex to 3 x SATA

and even better:

4 pin molex to 4 x SATA

I have no idea how hard those will be to find in Europe.

cleaner ? lol.. its looks not..

Fewer cables = cleaner.  The cables I posted allow you to power 3 or 4 SATA drives from just one molex cable.  Using the splitters that you were looking at earlier, you would need one molex cable, one molex splitter, and two molex-to-SATA splitters to power the same 3 or 4 SATA drives.  How exactly is that cleaner?

Here's some options to keep the cabling a bit cleaner:

4 pin molex to 3 x SATA

and even better:

4 pin molex to 4 x SATA

I have no idea how hard those will be to find in Europe.

cleaner ? lol.. its looks not..

Fewer cables = cleaner.  The cables I posted allow you to power 3 or 4 SATA drives from just one molex cable.  Using the splitters that you were looking at earlier, you would need one molex cable, one molex splitter, and two molex-to-SATA splitters to power the same 3 or 4 SATA drives.  How exactly is that cleaner?

true!

thx for the advice!

I'm doubting if i should go for a second WD 2tb 20 ears drive in the same shop since its +- 10 euro cheaper and i dont have to drive to it...

but i keep reading that buying more than 1 hdd in the same shop (from same batch) isnt good cause when one drive fails you have more chance that the same one dies too

so what should i do, take a second one in the same shop

or get another in different shop, 10 euro more expensive and i have to drive 40min to it..

• 1 year later...

Time for an update :)

Some time later now since first post.

I've been using unraid with lots of pleasure!

Some addons are running , and i installed a cache drive too.

I have now 1x2tb parity and 3x2tb data (all wd20ears)

Space is running out and its time to move on...

Considering my hardware... what should i do?

Buy a 3tb or 4tb drive, and swap it with the parity drive, and use the parity for data

Or buy a 2tb drive and just use it as data.

I can get a 3tb for around 150 euro while a 2tb is about 120 euro

Does my mobo support 3 or 4tb?

Server has been filling up very quick but thats because i already had a big movie collection

My next hdd wont be filling up that fast now...

Please some advice!

Thx

Either will be fine depending on how much you want to spend. Perhaps a 3TB is a good choice if you can get one for the right price, then you can make it your parity drive and use your old parity drive for data. 4TB drives will come down in price sooner rather than later and bigger drives are likely just around the corner.

As long as you are running unraid v5 you shouldn't have any issues running 3TB/4TB drives on that system ;)

Ok and which 3tb should i get, is the wd a good choice, or should i pass it.

I know hitachi is better but they are too expensive for me right now...

Personal preference really, most should be fine with unRAID AFAIK.

I generally go for Seagate or WD but the newer Samsung & Hitachi drives are quite good.. probably because they're now owned by Seagate & WD 8)

The new WD "Red" drives would be worth keeping an eye on if you can wait: www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=810

Well the wd are the cheapest.. I would go for the hitachi if i could get one for 150 euro..but thats not the case.

The wd red ones look good but again more expensive that way i could get a hitachi too.

I didnt know samsung already had 3tb? Cant find it either.

So for know i think to go for the wd...

It is safe right?