My first (unraid) server setup (looking for expansion)

skank

true

thats clear

im still thinking about it

might go for 550 vx cause it gives me more space, and more energy efficient

will that make much difference? how about noise?

Corsairs are quiet.vx550w_noise.jpg

So when the load is near 500w your gone hear the fan.

but you never reach that mark (maybe only when you have 15 drives and there all starting up, but thats only for a second then the load drops)

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 550WVX is technically more efficient (85%+ as opposed to 80%+ on the 500WCX).  However, efficiency is also affected by the load on the PSU.  I believe that you ideally want about a 60% load on a PSU to get the most efficiency (someone please correct me if that's wrong).  So on the 550VX, you want about a 330W load, and on the 500CX you want about a 300W load.  With an unRAID server I doubt you'll ever have a load that high during extended use.  Finding the balance between a PSU that can handle your peak usage and operate at maximum efficiency is a very difficult thing to do.

We are probably only talking about savings of maybe $10-20 per year, so I generally don't worry about it too much.  I just choose PSUs based on the ability to handle peak usage (and of course single rails, good quality, etc.).

difficult since i dont know yet what im going to do

either 13 bay or 15 bay server..

for 13 the 500 is enough for 15 -> 550

starting with 13 and ending up 15 is not an option since then i need different housing

for 13 im going for sharkoon sata quickport for 15 i need norco 5in3

so if i start with 13 , i have at least one sharkoon...which is useless when changing to norco.. for the 15 build

Also is it true, unraid only uses one core? so an athlon X2 250e is useless? i better go for the sempron 140?

No, unRAID can use more than one core.  However, unRAID doesn't need more than one core.  If you are running unRAID stock, then go for the sempron.  If you want to be able to run certain add-ons (especially those that encode/transcode video), then go for the dual core.

if you look at my "what i want" you think i should go for the dual core?

What i want exactly:

- All data should be accesible for each user (even playing movies from the central data place from 2 different places at the same data should be able to run with hesitation, ex: me watching movies in front of tv, and my kid upstairs watching his movie from the same place at the same time)

- should be resistant to hard disk failure

- easy to expand, (4x2tb will do for now, but there it should be easy upgradeable and quite cheap )

- Not too expensive in buying (in steps)

- Very important : it should be a low energy costing system when its running

- Gigabit speed for transferring large files (movies)

- FTP server

- Streaming media server

- Possibility to download (not sure if im gonna download upstairs, unpack and then move the file to the data storage or download from the data storage place, unpack it there and stuff... i dunno how you can see then if its corrupt...)

Based on all of that, I would recommend the single core.  unRARing downloaded files is the only thing that would benefit from the dual core, but I don't see that alone as enough justification to pay more (in initial cost and in power usage) for the dual core.  It will still work on the single core, it will just be a bit slower.  You can always unRAR files on your desktop as well.  Finally, you can find a new website that doesn't force you to download RAR'd files!  I rarely download anything RAR'd anymore, as it is just too much of a pain to deal with.

Also, in case you didn't know, VLC can play RAR'd files without extracting them first.  There will be a slight pause when it switches from one RAR file to the next, but it does work.

If you do use your desktop to unRAR files, you can then use TeraCopy to send them to the unRAID server and make sure they reach it without corruption.  TeraCopy has built-in CRC checks.

mmm well price difference between the sempron 140 and X2 240e isnt that big...

power usage is +- the same..

i got 3 things which i doubt

- what case to buy? sharkoon rebel 9 (or the pro version?) or the centurion 590

- hot swaps or not? and if yes, which one

- sempron, x2 240e or 250e

but that last one probably will be 240e

but the case and hot swaps are hard to decide

Ref hot swap. UnRaid itself does not support hot swapping. That is to say that, if a drive fails, you'd still have to power down the server to replace it. It just makes it a bit easier to change/add a drive should you need to. So, if money isn't an issue, then go for hot swap. If you want to keep the cost down, then don't.

Ref hot swap. UnRaid itself does not support hot swapping. That is to say that, if a drive fails, you'd still have to power down the server to replace it. It just makes it a bit easier to change/add a drive should you need to. So, if money isn't an issue, then go for hot swap. If you want to keep the cost down, then don't.

i think i will start without the cages, and see if it disturbs me like that...

but one other question about it

if i use such 4in3 hot swaps, do i need to connect each harddrive with power supply or do i connect only that cage with power supply

so in other words: using hot swaps makes less use of cables which means more ventilation or not?

I can't comment on the cages you propose to use. However, with the Zalman ones that I use, there is a single power supply to each cage.

which one are those?

No good for you. They are 3 in 3 so you'd only get 9 drives in the case. I'd have thought though, that as these have a single power supply to each cage, then others would too. Best check the manufuacturer's spec though. I usualy find that you can obtain specific product info by visiting the manufacturers web site.

Most 5 in 3s use two (eg. Supermicro) or three (eg. Icy Dock) molex power connectors to power the drive cage. If your concern is cooling, there is simply no comparison with most hot swaps and something like the Cooler Master 4 in 3. Hot swap cages are hot because there is a circuit board with a few small holes between the fan and the drives. Because of this, the drive cage manufacturers attempt to compensate by using small fans at high speed to develop the pressure necessary to cool the drives (think noisy). I have several Icy Dock cages and several Cooler Master cages, you give up something for the convenience of hot swap cages.

To clean up power wiring with a Cooler Master 4 in 3 I highly recommend something like this:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10226&cs_id=1022604&p_id=5188&seq=1&format=2

if im taking the coolermaster 590 i can add 3 (4in 3 cages right? and those arent hot swaps right?) so with that i can only get max 12 drives

if im taking the rebel 9 case from sharkoon with those hot swap cages 4x(3in2) +1 normal hot swap i can get max 13 drives

are there options for the rebel 9 case to go to max 13 drives but with normal cages?

im just looking what to go for, which case and with what cages

if im taking the coolermaster 590 i can add 3 (4in 3 cages right? and those arent hot swaps right?) so with that i can only get max 12 drives

if im taking the rebel 9 case from sharkoon with those hot swap cages 4x(3in2) +1 normal hot swap i can get max 13 drives

are there options for the rebel 9 case to go to max 13 drives but with normal cages?

I believe the choice of Rebel9 or Coolermaster 590 is not important in that aspect, both offer 9 x 5.25 bays on the front. So you can fill them both with the choice of:

* 3 x 4-in-3 = 12 disk

* 3 x 5-in-3 = 15 disk

* 4 x 3-in-2 + 1 x 1-in-1 =13 disk

or any other variation you can imagine.

I believe the choice of Rebel9 or Coolermaster 590 is not important in that aspect, both offer 9 x 5.25 bays on the front. So you can fill them both with the choice of:

* 3 x 4-in-3 = 12 disk

* 3 x 5-in-3 = 15 disk

* 4 x 3-in-2 + 1 x 1-in-1 =13 disk

or any other variation you can imagine.

12-15-13 disks in total, is that incl the parity drive and one for cache?

or can you put the cache somewhere else?

so if i say ill go for 12 disk build its in fact 10 hdd build + 1 for parity + 1 for cache..?

or is it 11 for hdd and 1 for parity (cache somewhere else)

so if i say ill go for 12 disk build its in fact 10 hdd build + 1 for parity + 1 for cache..?

It's the actual amount of disks you can put in the case, regardless wether you use them as data, parity or cache disks.

You might be able to DIY some extra disks in the case, but that will never be a really nice solution.

It's the actual amount of disks you can put in the case, regardless wether you use them as data, parity or cache disks.

You might be able to DIY some extra disks in the case, but that will never be a really nice solution.

DIY?

Are you going to use one for cache?

DIY = Do It Yourself. You can probably make a bracket of some sort yourself and fit some extra disks in the cage.

I don't see myself needing a cache drive intially, maybe if I use it more as a download box it might be a good idea for storing temp downloads.

For now I probably will use my low powered Atom music server box as download station. If I integrate my music server into the unRAID box, I will also look into using the unRAID box for downloads.

I just kind skimmed so remember that...lol

I am still trying to build my first unraid box but in my unlimited exp and from what I think your getting at...lol

by far the cheapest is to go with the Coolermaster 4 in 3 at about $20.00.....non hot swap and you supply a separate sata and power cable to each drive....but again its only $20.00

the average hot swap 3 in 2 I have seen has probe been $75 -$80

and the average 5 in 3 hot swap is $90-$115

its hard to know what you end server will or will need to be

I got LUCKY and got an excellent price on a Antec 1200 and after adding 1 Coolermaster 4 in 3 the case will hold 13 drives

Obviously if I swap the other 3 in 3 that came with it I would have 16 slots for $60 more than what i have into it now

and if needed Im sure I can add another 4 in 3 inside the case as room is def not lacking inside this case

and it looks a hell of a lot better than a Norco case but having hot swap bays is not important to me

But you really have to factor everything into this as to not waste any money.....

oh and have you even seen the Coolermaster 590 still in stock anywhere?